• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indexed Color does not look like preview.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with the indexed color option, which used to work great for me. When the indexed color mode option is up and I have preview clicked, the picture looks great, but when I apply the indexed color the picture looks very pixilated.  I cannot find any information about this. Thanks!Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 5.11.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-28 at 5.11.14 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

I found the answer in a different forum- once you switch the color mode back to RGB the pixilation will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try zooming to 100% and compare preview to actual. They should both look the same at that zoom.

At zoom levels less than 100% you are viewing a preview of the image with any effects not the actual image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am trying to get rid of the grainy effect, I want it to look like the preview image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I am not sure if you misunderstood me.

You have to zoom in to 100% - then adjust the parameters for indexed colour while looking at the preview. That way you will get an accurate preview and no surprises when clicking on OK. The preview and rendered version will look the same.

Once done accuracy only applies at 100% . If you then zoom out you will see an inaccurate render. That is the way Photoshop works. For many images the zoomed out view is close enough to the actual that you notice no difference but in some cases (such as yours ) it looks very different.

Note - with only 7 colours (as set in your screenshot) it is going to look somewhat posterised.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried that, while zoomed in it does look the same, but I changes completely one I zoom out. It used to look like the image in the preview so I feel like I changed something in the settings or something. As I zoom out shouldn't the pixels blend more not less?Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 10.57.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-01 at 10.58.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-01 at 10.58.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that last screenshot looks nasty - it may be worth trying with GPU disabled to see if it makes a difference. Also check whether the tiling setting in Preferences Performance makes any difference.

That said - this may just be one of those cases where the preview which is used to blend at less than 66% zoom shows artifacts that are not in the actual image. There always is a difference but in most normal images it is not visible. It is a price we pay for a speedy screen refresh when viewing a large part of the image

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you only want to have seven colors (from the choice of up to 256) in your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer in a different forum- once you switch the color mode back to RGB the pixilation will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saraf33087454  wrote

But you are no longer using indexed colour, in which case - why make the round trip?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It still indexes the color, it makes it look like the preview, and eliminates the pixilation. I am using indexed color to lower and the number of colors used, and input my own colors, and this achieves that. Thank you for your time!Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 1.41.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-01 at 1.41.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines