Exit

Unable to backup the catalog

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody.

Im running LR in a Windows 10 PC

Everytime I close LR I do a catalog backup wich cannot be run because "no room enough in the HD or necessary permisions not granted"

Free space in the HD 4 Tb and all the folders have on every HD all permission Access.

I recently changed to a new, powerfull, computer at the same time this bug came with the actualization of LR.

Since last december I cannot backup my catalog. It took a real while to find out how to get LR working in the new computer, wich I thought would be easy but developed into a nightmare until I learned the Windows name of HD are not manageable by LR.

I tried the lua option copied into the indicated folder, but it didn´t work.

I started a chat with some Adobe technician but I´m not able to use it again as I don´t get the option in Adobe´s page anymore

It started as incidence nº 0188710565.

After almost 4 months with this bug and working with LR for the last 6 years, I´m planning to change to Capture one, where I´ll have to start learning everything again, but I expect it to work.

The other option is to buy the CC suite (Now I own a LR 6 perpetual), but I need the perpetual working becasuse I stay some times long without internet acces and it can be a real problema, besides I don´t use Photoshop much or at all in the last years.

Any hint to try before I quit with Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

You are allowed for 2 activated installations. You can free them up simply by signing off in Lightroom (find it in the Help menu) and/or the Adobe Desktop Application. There's no need to contact Adobe for this.

Make sure to be connected to the internet while doing this, otherwise it does not get (de-)registered with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen-capture of the message appearing.

There must something wrong with your setup - I'm positive we can fix this.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other option is to buy the CC suite (Now I own a LR 6 perpetual),

But this won't fix the catalog backup problem

but I need the perpetual working becasuse I stay some times long without internet acces and it can be a real problem

You can be off the internet for up to 99 days and Lightroom CC still works, if you pay annually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn´t so last time I asked Adobe, but the question is still when do that period of 99 days start from.

For me it´ll be fantastic if I can pay in advance and have LR working for the whole year I paid for, of course being allowd to prepay next year 3 months in advance the suscription ends. That keeps me anyway with a Photoshop working wich I´m not using at all...

My LR versión is in spanish, but the message will be quite familiar to those experiencing problems with the LR bug released at the end of 2016 versión.

A rough translation is " LR hasn´t been able to make a backup of the catalog named   XXX   due to lack of space on the hard drive or lack of permissions on the folder".

Is exactly the same message many people have been able to fix with the lua sticker Miss Bampton suggested me, but it didn´t work in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you're talking about this issue. Unable to back up the catalog in Lightroom CC

Since for the rest of the people the temporary fix seem to work ... do you mind try it again and make sure to precisely follow  the steps.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did follow the precise steps more tan 4 different times, assuming I could have done it wrong.

What I really encounter is that in the last backup, when I open it there is again a presets folder and so on, but at the very end there is no so called "Lightroom" folder.

So I tried to put the lua file on every different place I could imagine with no results.

As for the permissions I´ve done through every fingle folder, from top to the smallest. I also double check them all and ALL permissions, incluiding read and write, are granted on ALL folders in the HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that you are not suffering from the bug described in the linked article and you really do have an access issue.

Anyhow, as for the bug, I'm positive that a fix will be in the next release which I think is not far away.

I'd wait for this release and if the problem still occurs, try to reset the preferences as a next step:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I´ll try that.

I´m planning as wel to erase Lightroom and reinstall it from the web, but as I have it actually running on 2 computers I should ask Adobe to quit the one I have and so be able to do a new installation.

Do you know how can I get in contact with Adobe to do so, because now I´m allways transfered to the forums and no to any Adobe representative

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are allowed for 2 activated installations. You can free them up simply by signing off in Lightroom (find it in the Help menu) and/or the Adobe Desktop Application. There's no need to contact Adobe for this.

Make sure to be connected to the internet while doing this, otherwise it does not get (de-)registered with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much.

I´ll try that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn´t so last time I asked Adobe, but the question is still when do that period of 99 days start from.

It has always been so, since the Creative Cloud was introduced.

Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ

It doesn't say when the 99 days start, but I would imagine it starts at the time you connect to the internet to verify your subscription.

Earlier you said:

all the folders have on every HD all permission Access.

I'm not sure that's the wording I want to hear. It sounds like you set the permissions on the top level of your drive, but that doesn't necessarily fix the problem. You have to check the exact folder where you want the backups to go for WRITE permission. If you can show us screen captures of the permissions on that exact folder, and also a screen capture of the Backup dialog box, we could confirm (or not) that permissions are the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines