Exit

Masks with random Opacity

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here.

I have one Layer in After Effects with like 2000 Masks in it.

Is there a way to animate the Opacity randomly on each Mask without touching every Mask individually, so that every Mask blends in at a different time.

Here is a Picture:

lf.jpg

Every single Point should blend in randomly.

Thanks in Advance!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Card Dance only works for regular grid, which your artwork is not. Matching the "cars" to your dot pattern would be a pain. As I said, try to trace the paths and then type in a dot character in a text layer, referencing the mask path, then apply opacity text animators and wiggly selectors. Likewise, any number of similar techniques e.g. using the Vegas effect or particle effects may work. Again: Your current approach is simply not ideal. You've jumped ahead too far in teh wrong direction and now

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could apply some sort of interpolation expression using linear() and the start and end values being generated randomly. A simple form would be something like that:

seedRandom(4567,true); //random seed, change number for different results

mRand=random(0,3); //random time in seconds

linear(time,0,mRand,0,100); //interpolation

Otherwise you might get much better control by using your shapes on a shape layer and putting them inside respective groups. Dealing with masks is like pulling teeth in AE. Also consider other techniques liek re-creating the dots with text on paths and using text animators.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional note: You still have to go into each mask opacity property, of course. Your approach is simply not very efficient.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot, Mylenium for your fast answer.

Do you maybe know, if there is a possibility to this with an effect-transition? Like for example the card-blend effect does..

I'm not really into this expression-stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Card Dance only works for regular grid, which your artwork is not. Matching the "cars" to your dot pattern would be a pain. As I said, try to trace the paths and then type in a dot character in a text layer, referencing the mask path, then apply opacity text animators and wiggly selectors. Likewise, any number of similar techniques e.g. using the Vegas effect or particle effects may work. Again: Your current approach is simply not ideal. You've jumped ahead too far in teh wrong direction and now hit a snag.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great Idea doing it with text!!!

Thank you very much, Sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That example doesn't look very random to me.  I think you need to re-evaluate what you're doing... unless we don't know the totality of what you're doing, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines