• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection tools deleting pixels instead of deselecting when option is held

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been working with Photoshop for about 25 years, but took a year off from work to travel. Now that I'm back, I'm having a very basic problem, and I'm not sure if t's due to my aging computer system or if it's a new feature in Photoshop 2017 that I do not know how to work around. When I have a selection, I hold down the option key to deselect parts, but instead of simply deselecting those areas, it is also taking the pixels/image as well. At first, I thought this was a new feature that I needed to turn off or learn about, but I can't seem to google it up.

I addition, if I change layers, the selection tool goes back to subtracting from the selection like normal. Might someone help me determine if this is old-mac-initis or a new feature?

Specific example just in case: I command-select a layer of type to get marching ants around a word. I decide I want one of the letters deselected. I choose the lasso tool and, holding down the option key, draw a quick ring around the letter. Instead of just removing the selection, it also removes the letter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

When truly unexplainable things happen in Photoshop restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

If it happens again could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

instead of simply deselecting those areas, it is also taking the pixels/image as well.

You seem to have non-committed content then, like when you move pixels with an active Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! Thanks for your response. Could you be more specific? I googled "non-committed content," but nothing comes up. Is this a new photoshop term I don't know about?

The type was a merged layer, rasterized into simple black pixels, no longer editable as type, only image, if that helps. (Like flat image, don't let the fact that it's type confuse what I mean.) I just used it as an example, though my problem persists even if I draw a black square and select it, then try to deselect a portion of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you loaded the Selection could you inadvertently have moved the content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! Thanks for your response. Could you be more specific?

When one selects part of a Layer for example and moves it subtracting from the Selection will remove the pixels.

Select another Layer to break the connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope!

I've messed around with it for quite a while. Definitely no movement of anything. Just simple attempts to deselect using the option key with the lasso tool. One of the most basic photoshop procedures that exists. This happens when all selection tools are used. Rectangular Marquee, Lasso, Polygonal Lasso, etc.

I'm actually beginning to think it's definitely a computer problem. I can switch layers, and the problem goes away for a few seconds. I can try to deselect while I'm off the layer, and at some point the problem happens again. I then can go back to the layer, deselect, and the problem is fixed. Then I come over to this site to look at our conversation, and when I return, the problem is back. On top of that all, my polygon lasso tool is no longer available from the dropdown.

I just restarted photoshop for a second time, and at the moment, everything seems to be working.

Thanks again for your help, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When truly unexplainable things happen in Photoshop restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

If it happens again could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines