• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't seem to move an object on a text page in my document.

Participant ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my InDesign CC 2017 document that I'd placed from a Microsoft Word for Mac doc,

the photos and other visuals in it were placed center of the pages, but some I want to move them

to the left and then wrap words around them (if "wrap" also applies to the words being on only one side of the object).

I went to Objects in the menu, but what I tried there didn't work.

Thank you,

Morty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Morty—I agree 100% with Jane's advice. It is a herculean task to learn InDesign while laying out a document. First learn InDesign, then lay out your file.

That said, this is the workflow I suggested.

1. Here is the file in Word. The photos are each on their own paragraph, and centered.Microsoft Wordss_005.png
  2. Here is the same file in InDesign. With this set up, the images will flow with the text. If you add/delete text above them, they will move with the text. This is also why you can't drag them where you want to.
    InDesign CCss_035.png
  3. Using the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images came from Word, they are inline with the text. That means that they act similarly to a character in a font. If the paragraph that contains the image is aligned right, the image will be on the right. Similarly, you can center or left-align an image, but it really works best if the image is in it's own paragraph if that's how you want to work.

If you want the image to be more adjustable, click on the image and go to Object>Anchored Object>Options and change Inline to Custom. There are several parameters to play with in this mode, so you might want to read up on it. Also, I found a Lynda video with a quick Google search about working with Word files in InDesign. I haven't watched it myself, but you might want to give it a view.

InDesign tutorial: How to import Microsoft Word files | lynda.com - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Migintosh,

I tried what you said, but still can't move the object.

By the way, all my objects are in their own paragraphs.

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the images need to move with the text edits, or do you want them in a static position?

Migintosh​ gave you what you need for images that are anchored to the text and will move with the edits. If the images aren't going to move, there is an easier approach:

• Click the image (not the doughnut) with the Selection Tool
  • Edit > Cut
  • Edit > Deselect all
  • Edit > Paste
  • Window > Text Wrap > Wrap Around Bounding Box
  • Adults the Offsets (distance btw the frame and the text)
  • Drag into position on the page and the text will get out of the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean, BarbBinder, but let me tell you in my own words:

In Word I put images in their own paragraphs and placed the whole ms into InDesign CC 2017 that way.

I had centered them all horizontally in Word and that was maintained in InDesign.

I want the images to stay where they are in the text (in their own pagaraphs), and the ones that fill

or almost fill the widths of the page, I will leave as is.

But some are narrow and I'd like to move those to about .25 inches from the left margin of the page,

and wrap text to their right.

I followed what you said to do and when I got to Edit > Paste, the image appeared on the page

to the right of the page it was on, but on top of text.

When I went to Window > Text Wrap > Wrap Around Bounding Box and chose Right Side,

that worked fine—BUT ON THE WRONG PAGE, not on the page I had the visual and still want it.

I hope you can help. This is encouraging so far!

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morty,

If you want them to be inline, do it the way Migintosh​ said.

If you want to be able to move them around, do it the way BarbBinder said.

If it's on the wrong page, move it to the correct page if you made it a moveable object.

Hope this helps,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything for the past two+ hours (and yesterday too), Jane, Barb, and Migintosh, but can't get anywhere with this. Depressing.

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "everything", since you haven't given step-by-steps or screen shots.

Have you had any training on InDesign? I've been following your questions, and it  sounds like you had it formatted it Word, put it into InDesign, and now you are trying to battle issues as they come up, which is causing immense frustration and loss of time.

You might want to sign up for a live training class or watch a course on lynda.com to get a better picture. I think it would save you time and we want to see you smiling, not depressed, Morty!

https://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/InDesign-CC-2017-Essential-Training/466174-2.html

Lynda has a ten-day free trial if you haven't been a member before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I mean, Jane (I copied it from your previous post):

If you want them to be inline, do it the way Migintosh said.

If you want to be able to move them around, do it the way BarbBinder said.

If it's on the wrong page, move it to the correct page if you made it a moveable object.

I've also referred to my Visual QuickStart Guide, by Sandee Cohen.

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mortyfromqueens wrote:

I've also referred to my Visual QuickStart Guide, by Sandee Cohen.

Thanks, Morty

Oh, Sandee Cohen​'s book is another great place to start. That should help a lot if you start at the beginning and work through it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started to study it through, but it's too much of a study for me with all the stuff I'll never use or need, so I went to work directly and refer to it when I need to. However, it didn't help with this problem now of moving an object to wrap around it.

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morty—I agree 100% with Jane's advice. It is a herculean task to learn InDesign while laying out a document. First learn InDesign, then lay out your file.

That said, this is the workflow I suggested.

1. Here is the file in Word. The photos are each on their own paragraph, and centered.Microsoft Wordss_005.png
  2. Here is the same file in InDesign. With this set up, the images will flow with the text. If you add/delete text above them, they will move with the text. This is also why you can't drag them where you want to.
    InDesign CCss_035.png
  3. Using the Selection tool, click on an image. Do not click the doughnut in the center. Note the bounding box on the selected image, and the anchor symbol in the top right.
    InDesign CCss_036.png
  4. Edit > Cut
    InDesign CCss_037.png
  5. Edit > Paste. The selected object will always paste in the center of the current view. That is fine. Do not deselect the image.
    InDesign CCss_038.png
  6. Window > Text Wrap. Pick button #2 to turn on text wrap around the bounding box. Set the offset to move text away from the edge of the image.
  7. Use the Selection tool to drag the image to the desired position on any page.
    InDesign CCss_039.png

NOTE: These specific steps allow you to move an image anywhere you want, but the image will not flow with the text if you add or remove text in advance of the image. If you need the images to move, you will need to re-anchor them. That is a separate question, and should be asked as a separate post, but before you do that, work though this online documentation: Work with anchored objects in InDesign​ .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very kind of you, Barb, Jane, and everyone, to help me with this.

I'll work with this later today.

—Morty

It's now "later today," and I feel I'm more in touch with reality now!

Forgive me for not having previously realized I WANT the images anchored,

and so I attempted to flow text around an anchored image.

I think I got the set-up right (see attached visual), BUT now how do I get the text to flow?

—Thanks again,

Morty

for Barb text wrap setup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything went fine, Barb, but the text didn't wrap-around.

(Small correction to the Text Wrap screen shot I posted previously, though I don't think that matters:

no space between left side of object and left page border.)

I got the object before the paragraph I want to wrap around it, but no wrap.

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty: Please show a screen shot with the image selected and Window > Text Wrap panel open. It should be an easy fix.

Use the button outlined in orange to add the screen shot:

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screen shot for Barb Adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an inline graphic, improperly anchored.

1. Type > Show Hidden Characters to see the ¶s
    InDesign CCss_001.png
  2. Delete the return between the photo and the paragraph underneath.
    InDesign CCss_002.png
  3. Select the frame.
    InDesign CCss_003.png
  4. Drag the anchor to the end of the previous paragraph.
    InDesign CCss_004.png
  5. Done.
    InDesign CCss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb. This worked, but do you mind if I don't close the case for a couple of days?

Best,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad that helped, Morty.

This one was already marked as answered—that happened a few weeks ago.

Remember, you can always come back and start a new thread if you have further questions. And you can copy/paste the link on my name if you'd like to call me in on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines