• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Layers/Compositions between Projects?

Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have one layer and one composition in a certain project that have effects attached to them that I need to apply to MANY videos. The effect is not easy to make either, so I was hoping there would be a way to copy it from one project to the other. Some people suggested Ctrl+C Ctrl+V, but I am unable to open more than one after effects project at once. Also, importing the other AEP into my current one glitches it out severely, and I cannot get that to work. My composition imports properly (the one with the effects in it) as well as the full composition of the other video. However, the solids are placed into a folder, and when that folder is opened, it contains the solid from the composition (for the effect) and two adjustment layers that are just pure white. How can I simply copy these two objects from my initial project into my new one and retain the effects?

Ethan

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Just save that comp as a project then you can import into any project you want.  If it's part of a busy project just save the project under a new name so you don't lose the project you're working in, then select the composition you want to save in the project panel,  then go to File>Dependencies>Reduce project.   This will delete everything except the composition you have selected and everything it uses.  Now save it as project (I keep a folder called "asset projects" where I put these).  You ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing. Either you save animation presets or indeed have to import the entire project to be able to copy&paste the layers from the comp. The project window doesn't hold any of that info, anyway, so I'm not even sure what your observation about how AE imports solids from otehr projects is supposed to tell us.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I was just stating EXACTLY what after effects did. I'm still very new to the software. What are these "animation presets?"

When you say copy and paste the layers from the comp, you're misunderstanding. I have separate projects with each individual video clip in them (which my professor just said was a poor choice). I'm not even sure how to set it up with multiple compositions and footage videos  in one project. I am easily overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of layers, masks within layers, compositions within compositions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just save that comp as a project then you can import into any project you want.  If it's part of a busy project just save the project under a new name so you don't lose the project you're working in, then select the composition you want to save in the project panel,  then go to File>Dependencies>Reduce project.   This will delete everything except the composition you have selected and everything it uses.  Now save it as project (I keep a folder called "asset projects" where I put these).  You can now just import it into any project you want.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the very detailed reply! I just have one question...when you say import into the project, how do I do that? I may be going about it the wrong way, and that could be why I'm struggling...Thanks!

Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Problem.  To import either go to File>Import>file and choose the .aep file you saved out, or just right click in the project panel & choose import, or CTRL/CMD + I

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also take a look at the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE. Type Animation Preset in there and study up. That will tell you how to create a file that you can save and then apply all of the keyframes, expressions, effects - basically everything you have done to a layer, then apply that preset to any layer at any time.

For example this is one of my often used animation presets. It flys a layer in from the left side of the screen, bounces to a stop, then falls off the screen all based on the layer's in point, out point, at rest position and scale. All you have to do is save the file, then go to Animation>Apply Animation Preset - browse to the file and apply it. I have about 200 of these in my arsenal and use them on just about every project that requires me to animate layers. Dropbox - flyInBounceDropOut.ffx

From your original post it looks like animation presets are the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  The project imports i do are generally for animatable characters that i have set up with multiple image layers arranged in specific parental hierarchies and crucial anchor point placement that are specific to those particular images.  With project import I can instantly add those animatable assets to any project.  If the intent is just to add a couple of adjustment layers with effect presets that can be applied to any non-specific image layer then an animation preset is probably the best way, as Rick said.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. That reduction tip is solid gold!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use network clipboard script for this:
https://aescripts.com/network-clipboard/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a literal lifesaver! Combined with the ability to run two instances of AE at the same time, this is such a timesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Big thanks to Roei for resolving this AE's nasty "copy/paste" issue!  Truly grateful! Cheers! 🤝

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it a very complicated process to copy an entire composition when I just need two layers. It goes wrong almost every time and it makes my project very unorganized. Instead of copying the exact lenght of the layers in the composition, the bars fill the length of the entire project only for me to reduce them again. I ran into another problem today where it did not copy the keyframes of the animations I put it. It is very annoying. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines