Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating vector lines not shapes in Draw to import into Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I am wanting to draw an outline on my iPad in Adobe Draw and then send it to Illustrator to edit (using the width tool etc...).

At the moment any line I have drawn in Adobe Draw comes into Illustrator as a filled shape. 

How can I create lines only, not filled shapes?  I have read the using Adobe Draw is like using the blob paintbrush tool rather than creating a line... is there a setting I can change, or an alternative Adobe app I can use on my iPad to create the vector (not raster) lines to then edit in illustrator???

Thanks

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Hi Daniel

Adobe Draw doesn't create single vector paths in the manner that Illustrator does with the pen, pencil, or paintbrush. Draw indeed does most closely resembles drawing with the Blob Brush tool in Illustrator. There is not a setting that you can change for that. it's not raster, it is vector but not simple linear paths.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope this was helpful.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel

Adobe Draw doesn't create single vector paths in the manner that Illustrator does with the pen, pencil, or paintbrush. Draw indeed does most closely resembles drawing with the Blob Brush tool in Illustrator. There is not a setting that you can change for that. it's not raster, it is vector but not simple linear paths.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope this was helpful.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response Michael...

Do you know if there is an alternative app I can use.  I am trying to save time when digitising my artwork and drawing them straight in rather than tracing a scanned pencil drawn image...

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few apps out there but i am not well informed about how well they work, nor how compatible they are with Illustrator. You could look at inkpad, idraw, freeform, intaglio sketchpad, Touchdraw, iDesign and a few others for options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a cintiq is the only option. i have the same needs as you so i can take paths to AI and AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant believe that Adobe have not built in this feature to their own ipad app?  I too am an illustrator who simply wants to sketch freehand on my ipad pro, and then have the ability to import the artwork to the desktop version of Illustrator CC as an 'editable single line path' not some random fill with editable outline, which is next to useless other than being scalable.

Very frustrating and what I would class as being a fundamental function, especially if other apps can supposedly achieve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the money I pay Adobe monthly for my CC subscription, and I have to go ahead and buy Graphic (iDraw) from Autodesk in order to achieve the above.... hang your heads in shame Adobe, this is fundamental stuff that your iOS Apps should perform by default, straight out of the box. Not only have you annoyed the hell out of me with this lack of a specific feature, but I'm now more likely to continue using Autodesk Graphic as opposed to Adobe Draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Autodesk Graphic is much more like a traditional vector drawing program. I just wish its pen tool was better designed (it doesn't have the same kind of keyboard short cuts I'm accustomed to using with the desktop version of Illustrator); its implementation is pretty limited. I also can't figure out how to access extended character sets in fonts (like small caps, special characters, swashes, ligatures, etc.). Many iPad Pro owners have keyboards and the Apple Pencil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you are completely right I was in the middle of the project and my client had a big problem ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a designer looking into the options for a tablet for vector illustration work. I was thinking of getting the iPad pro as I have CC on my main Mac and would like to sketch out on the iPad and then add details in Illustrator.

For the attention of Adobe the lack of this function (the ability to create vector lines) is a deal-breaker for me so I'm looking into other products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're basically going to be stuck paying quite a bit more for a Wacom Cintiq display to attach to a traditional desktop or notebook computer or buying an even more expensive Wacom Mobile Studio (a display with its own built-in computer).

I tried out Microsoft's Surface Pro and Surface Studio computers at one of their Microsoft Stores. The Surface Studio is a very elegant looking desktop machine and looks very classy compared to a standard iMac. The Surface Studio has an awesome looking screen. Unfortunately I was not impressed at all how the stylus worked on it or any of the other MS Surface computers. It was just too choppy compared to using a Wacom stylus on a graphics tablet or an Apple Pencil on an iPad Pro. The Surface Studio also carries a ridiculously high price. You're mainly paying for the display, along the lines of what Wacom's big Cintiq monitors cost, and then getting mid range notebook PC guts into the little box below the display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this question. I love my Apple pen and the ipad pro. I feel like I have more control over my line work and art with the Apple pen on the iPad when compared to using a tablet and a stylus like the cintiq.

I also prefer using Procreate over Adobe Draw.

For an illustration to be used in a logo seal I was working on, I needed to be able to edit the artwork in vector and edit the paths afterwards. Thinking that this was the whole point of Adobe Draw, I decided to use the app that feels less user friendly to me so I could easily edit afterwards.

I was extremely dissapointed when the vector outcome was basically just a live trace of my drawing. It ended up being hours longer of a process than just drawing the illustration by hand and then tracing with the pen tool. What is the point of the Apple pen and adobe draw when the art work doesnt work as editable strokes? Live trace and the like is not practically editable for professional purposes such as logos and typography.

I hope the technology of the strokes can catch up to my spending on Apple products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe could learn a few things from Procreate. Its draw-assist and stroke smoothing features are pretty nice for calligraphy and hand lettering purposes. Adobe Illustrator Draw has some basic smoothing features, but nothing like that of Procreate. When you're laying down line strokes in AI Draw you kind of want to get them right the first time and not go back sketching on them further (or editing the paths in desktop Illustrator later).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks-- I also had this question - hope they are considering an app that creates a vector path in future development..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would likt to call this out for more attention as well. Hopefully Illustrator on mobile will do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a great FREE app that does this and it's called vectornator. Exports to CC and Illustrator. BUT Doesn't keep layers as far as I've tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wanting to draw single vector lines too, this is bad news, can't believe Adobe Draw doesn't do this, it's very much needed!

However, I have only just joined Adobe CC and for the past couple of years have been using the Vectornator app for drawing on my iPad Pro and I have to say it's pretty flippin' excellent if editable single vector lines is what you want. There are some minor niggles with it, e.g. once you take your Apple pencil off the iPad and return the pencil to the drawing it automatically starts a new vector line instead of assuming you're continuing on the with the same line but I have to say I have been very impressed. I save out my line drawings as SVG and hey presto, I can open them in Illustrator and continue to edit them as vector lines.

Thank goodness for Vectornator as I NEED single vector lines and want to be drawing with my Apple Pencil on my iPad Pro. Hope this helps anyone else who's having the same issues with Adobe Draw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also looking for this feature when taking hand drawing into logo design. 
would be great if there was an option within Adobe draw rather than having to use vectornator - thank you to this thread to this tip - much appreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines