• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A pink highlighting problem

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know pink highlighting means a font is missing. Or usually does, or commonly does, or something. I have a problem where just one section of one line is pink highlighted. The rest of the type in that style is fine. The 'Find Fonts' box tells me the font is present. What's going on? The screenshot below shows the bottom third of the page on which this is happening.

All help appreciated greatly!

Pink highlight screen shot.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, that screenshot was in 'Normal'. When I go to 'Preview' the pink goes but the little cross-box remains (see below). I don't know what I'll get if I send it to the printer like this.

Non-pink but cross-box still there.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The square box with a cross usually indicates that a character cannot be displayed correctly by the font or does not exist in the list of characters of the font you have selected.

Are you Placing the text from Word or equivalent?

When you highlight some your pink text, does the paragraph and/or character styles show with a little + (override) in front of the style name?

I would try to select the paragraph, clear the formatting and reapply the style with the Alt key down on your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the box character. Does the highlight disappear? Then it was only due to this one character missing in the current font, and for some unknown reason InDesign decided to draw such a wide pink background.

Undo the deletion and select the character, then set its font to something with a known wide range of characters -- say, a Times New Roman, Arial Unicode MS, or Cambria. Does something resembling a logical character pop up? (I doubt it, in that position inside a sentence, but you never know.) If so, the character is missing in the current font but still needs to be there, and you'll have to select another font for just the character.

If not, select the character and look in the Info panel for its Unicode value. If it says something like "U+FEFF", "U+FFF2", or "U+E002", then this was probably an invisible dud character in the original text, and InDesign cannot find an appropriate character to display because there is none. Then you can safely delete it.

If not, create a Preflight profile that only checks for "Missing glyphs" (Preflight files in InDesign before handoff to a service provider). Although it would be logical to put that in the Info panel (hint.), rather than plain Unicodes, the Preflight panel correctly lists missing characters by their names. If you see the name of a character that would make sense in here, look for a font – any font at all – that contains the character.

This, for example, is what I get when I read in a linguistics-heavy document into ID, with only default plain text fonts applied:

missing-glyph-list.PNG

(Although they all have that pink background, it doesn't generally extend beyond the actual character. That one's really new to me.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read here - https://indesignsecrets.com/field-guide-to-composition-highlighting.php

I think you have enabled some checkbox such as alternate kerning.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you click in the pink text, do you see brackets around either the font or the style?

Also, look in Story Editor. What does that one glyph look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines