• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata with Elements catalogue to Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Lightroom while I had been using Elements 13 for years.  I had just started to use the LR and try to import the catalogue from Elements.  Around 1000 pics was successfully import.  However, I found that most of the pictures imported does not contain the metadata including the capture date and time.  I tried the function to copy the XMP from files.  But the action was hung with the status bar stopped moving.

Just want to see if this is a common issue and how I could get over this without manual update the files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gtiger,

You can turn off the Graphics processor from the Lightroom preferences and then start the import.

Open Lightroom > Edit menu > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck the GPU.

Also, refer the below link for the correct workflow.

How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto in Li...

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the change and use the "File-> Import from Elements Catalogue" to perform the import.  Then the import stopped at 0% of Merging Photos.  Any reason?

I am running on a MacBook Pro in MacOS 10.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had just started to use the LR and try to import the catalogue from Elements.  Around 1000 pics was successfully import.

Please explain the steps you used to do this. Give us details.

Please know that the default operation of Elements is to NOT write metadata to XMP, and unless you specifically told Elements to write the metadata to XMP, then the metadata is not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running on a MacBook Pro in MacOS 10.12

Once I import the catalogue, I did select "Metadata-> Read from files" to try updating the metadata from the original files.  But the status bar does not move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you import the catalog? What was the exact sequence of steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open a new catalogue in LR and then select 'File->Import from Elements Catalogue'

Regards,

Wilkin Moy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the first person to report that Import from Elements Catalog doesn't work as expected. I don't know why this happens.

Are these photos from a camera or a scanner?

If you didn't have Elements write the metadata to the photo file, then the Lightroom command File->Read Metadata from Files will not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos were taken from camera and iPhone as well.  I did compare the metadata on Elements and LR where imported.  The data on LR is missing in somehow.  Is there any log we may check the issues on LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there is no log. The only suggestion I can give you is to try the import again. Otherwise, if it still doesn't work, then as far as I know, it's not going to work as is. You might want to use Elements to write the metadata to the files before importing into Lightroom, then try the Lightroom command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truly I did try remove the catalogue in LR and import again in a brand new one. In this case, I think I should stay using Elements.

Regards,

Wilkin Moy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not going to try my last suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tried it and still not getting the capture date as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines