• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign UK English Dictionary has stopped working, all others working fine

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With dynamic spelling enabled and UK English language selected in the character panel every word is underlined (marked for mispelling). Spell Checker doesn't recognise any word. If i change this to USA English it behaves normally.

How do i delete/reinstall the UK dictionary?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Answer : File was corrupt.

One file was giving me problems so i deleted preferences to no avail and reinstalled InDesign which had no effect either.

I pasted the text from the troublesome document into a new document and it worked. Somehow that file didn't like UK english. It was a new and simple document that i created the day before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I don't know how to delete/reinstall the dictionary, but in case you don't get an answer for that you should try "trashing" the InDesign preferences and/or re-installing a program (which is pretty easy if you have the CC version)

Trashing prefs: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

To uninstall go to the Creative Cloud application and choose Apps and then find InDesign. Hover over the name of the application and then click the gear icon. Choose Uninstall. Then after the app is uninstalled, click install. Doing this is probably easier and safer than trying to find/trash/replace the UK Dictionary. (I'd have trouble finding a clean, fresh UK Dictionary.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer : File was corrupt.

One file was giving me problems so i deleted preferences to no avail and reinstalled InDesign which had no effect either.

I pasted the text from the troublesome document into a new document and it worked. Somehow that file didn't like UK english. It was a new and simple document that i created the day before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! I had gotten the impression that it was all your documents.

Just in case others are wondering, here is the order of things you should try when things go wonky.

Restart InDesign.

Try on a new file.

Save the file as an IDML file and then re-open.

Try with a new user or in the “Safe” mode for the operating system.

Trash the preferences.

Uninstall/reinstall InDesign.

Remove half the file, then the other half, other quarter, etc. until you find the page that could be the problem.

Remove any new fonts or extensions you may have installed

Some of these can be done in other orders, but they are the best set of “home remedies” before you panic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good advise. i'd normally be more logical about it but it happens so rarely these days i forgot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in case trashing preferences does not do the job, maybe this link would help:

Add and remove Hunspell dictionaries in different languages in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Hunspell dictionaries are not the same as the dictionaries that load with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops, right Sandy. I answered a bit too fast.

Can the OP give more information about System (Mac/windows?) and Indd version?

Still in case replacing preference don't help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines