• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difficulty attaching arms. Even staples can't solve.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm currently trying to create a Hula dancer. So many problems!! So many layers!!! I want everything to move with the body...hair, flower lay, grass skirt etc. Plus, somehow I need the hips to move independantly (will try cycling for that part). But first thing first. I can't get my arms to move without detaching from the body! At first I had the arm layers behind the dancer's torso layer. I thought it was good until I tried to puppet the arms. The hands couldn't move in front of the dancer. So, I re-drew the arm sockets so that the arm layers could sit above the torso's layers. Now, even after stapling the arms to the body...It pulls away, leaving gaps. Finally, I made the arm layers part of the torso. Of course now, when I move the arms the body goes with them. Any other suggestions??

P.S. I'm also having issues with the lay and hair.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a basic rigging issue of some sort, see Character Animator Tips & Tricks (January 2017) - YouTube. If the arms are detaching then they are either 1) not stapled / connected, 2) the mesh has something extra or weird going on with it, try changing to contour, 3) the staple attach style is set to free instead of weld or hinge, or 4) something is independent that shouldn't be.

In the downloadable examples in the video description you will see several characters with stapled independent arms, check out Simons the Fox for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having a similar problem. The L Arm staples just fine and behaves as expected, but the R Arm does not connect and floats off when the character leans to the left in performance. The L Arm and R Arm folders are set up exactly the same, the staples are set up the same way (weld), the meshes are both set to Contour and look to be identical. Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, it's probably something totally obscure and weird, like a stray mark somewhere or independence somewhere influencing it. Could you share here or DM me your .puppet file (File > Export > Puppet) via a shared link on Google Drive, Dropbox, or Creative Cloud to take a closer look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. DM sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the obscure stuff? I seem to run into obscurity from time to time as well and I find any intel on the matter of "flying arms" very interesting so please share any knowledge of the darkest sort it may be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, what I did was redo the shoulder area of each arm. The character has thin "spaghetti arms," and they extended back behind the body in that same, thin line. I put a big circle on each arm at the shoulder (where the body obscured it), and suddenly it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Love your tutorialsAnd I understand most of them, But I must admit I am completely confusedBy the Staples. Every time I try to staple something the staple disappears on the layer. And it doesn't work I thought we could put multiple staples. Say on for example one arm. However Every time I add multiple staples it only fixes at one spot. It's like each time I staple it goes back to being an origin handle. Please help me I'm completely confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talk about staples in more detail here, particularly the second point I think:

Basically you can only staple independent groups, and doing so just does 2 things: 1. Moves the origin to wherever you stapled, and 2. Connects the staple to a new handle that gets made in the parent group. That's it - it's just a way to connect stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great but how can i staple something si its stapled at to points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only have one staple per layer/group, because there's only one attach option per layer/group. So if you add a second staple to something that is already stapled, it will just move the origin and create a new handle in the parent layer/group. If you want to connect parts more, like hold a stapled sleeve more in place, try adding a few fixed handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you have arms connected to the torso, you can use sticks to reduce the influence the arms exert on the body.

If you perhaps draw a stick ON the torso from the right shoulder to the right hip, the arm could possibly move well but not warp the body too much. It's really a lot of try and error here, because no two artworks or different layer structures or setting sets behave equal…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 of my puppets yesterday suddenly had their arms detach. One of the puppets hasn't been updated in a long time which is weird it started doing this. Later in the day the puppet began working normally again.

The other puppet was working fine until I swapped so layers around and it stopped the head from moving so I tried something else. Then the puppet was no longer stapled to the ground so I decided to fix my layers back to where they were originally and go back in history on CH to where the problem started.

Now my puppet is working normally again but the arm have detached.

Can anyone help here please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a “refresh” button in the scene window (two arrows in a circle). I would try clicking that first. If that solves it, then it was a caching problem in CH. Sometimes it gets confused.

I find sometimes editing a puppet multiple times moves the origin on me, causing all the anchor points etc to move - VERY annoying. Could you include some rigging screen shots perhaps? Its hard to say otherwise. But I would click through the layers to make sure the pins etc are still over the body in the right places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines