• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save Metadata to Files Anomaly

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing RAW images, no changes at this point, if I select 'all' images in the Library module > Metadata > 'sometimes', only Save metadata to file (cmd+S) is offered - does what it says on the tin, only saves metadata to the highlighted image of the multiple images selected.

Multiple images have definitely been selected (cmd+A or shift clicking selection), first image selected stays slightly whiter, all other image mounts turn a lighter grey to inducate they are selected.

If only save metadata to file is offered I have to crtl click over the selected images to acces metadata> Save metadata to files

Once metadata has been applied CMD+S works on all files selected.

I have been using Lightroom since it was released but donlt seem to recall this happening in earlier versions of Lightroom?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you selecting the images in the Grid View or in the Film strip. You need to select them in the Grid View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Film strip, this still doesn't make sense as sometimes in the film strip it's save metadata to files, other times it's only save metadata to file! - for both the Library module and develop module.

In the Develop module there is only the film strip to use.

PS when you select all files in the film strip, all files in the Library module (grid) are selected anyway.

I should have mentioned in my original post I am using El Capitan V10.11.6 and latest Lightroom CC version.

Same xmp metadata file/files problem happens on latest version of Mac Sierra and latest Lightroom CC on my Macbook Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In you have to be in GRID view in the Library

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I have been testing this over the past couple of days.

I donlt always have to be in the grid mode to be offered, save metadata to files, only occasionally does it, for some stange reason, offer save metadat to file and not files, when multiple images have been selected.

I am able to save metadata to all files from the film strip mode in the Library module.

I am also able to do the same in the develop module from the film strip.

I have dragged random images, after save to files has been applied from the film strip mode (Library or Develop modules), into Bridge, and then opened them in Adobe Camera Raw which correctly displays the metadata changes - in this case an obvious test by changing from colour to black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save metadata to ALL files in modes other than Library Grid if you turn Autosync ON.  With it OFF is will just save the Most-Selected file metadata.  I try to avoid tuning Autosync ON because if you forget to turn it OFF it can really mess up you catalog with unwanted changes and it is extremely difficult to undo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I never use automatically write changes into xmp. I am still offered save metadata to files in the film strip mode, Library module and Develop module, but not always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still offered save metadata to files in the film strip mode, Library module and Develop module, but not always.

I'm able to reproduce this bug reliably with the filmstrip in Develop.  If you right-click one of many selected photos and roll the mouse over the Metadata menu item in the context menu, it will show Save Metadata To Files. If you then move the mouse over another selected filmstrip photo (without clicking in between) and right-click it, it will show Save Metadata To File.  If you then hit escape to dismiss the context menu and right-click the same photo again, the context menu will show Save Metadata To Files.

I filed a bug report with detailed recipe and screen recording in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Develop filmstrip context menu incorrectly shows "Save Metadata To File" rather than "Fil... . Please add your me-too vote and details of your configuration (operating system, exact version of LR shown in Help > System Info).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save metadata to ALL files in modes other than Library Grid if you turn Autosync ON. 

You don't need to turn on Autosync, at least in CC 2015.8 / OS X 10.12.3.  In Develop, I selected multiple thumbnails in the filmstrip, right-clicked, and did Metadata > Save Metadata To Files, and the metadata status indicator on all the photos changed from down-arrow to blank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  wrote

You can save metadata to ALL files in modes other than Library Grid if you turn Autosync ON. 

You don't need to turn on Autosync, at least in CC 2015.8 / OS X 10.12.3.  In Develop, I selected multiple thumbnails in the filmstrip, right-clicked, and did Metadata > Save Metadata To Files, and the metadata status indicator on all the photos changed from down-arrow to blank.

I thought it worked that way in the past but now I only get "save file" instead of "save files" unless I am in Grid or Autosync is turned on.  OS X 10.11.6 and lr2015.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it worked that way in the past but now I only get "save file" instead of "save files" unless I am in Grid or Autosync is turned on.  OS X 10.11.6 and lr2015.6

Curious.  Most likely not dependent on the version of OS X, but possibly dependent on the version of LR (2015.8 versus 2015.6).  See the screen recording I posted of how it works in my 2015.8.  It's also possible that the bug is timing dependent (not unusual for user interfaces) and manifests itself slightly differently in different installations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I have added my me-too vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the mystery if I do the right-click I get the random file/files as your video shows but if I use the menu (which I used originally for testing) it is consistent that the "files" only shows up if I am in Grid or Autosync ON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I use the menu (which I used originally for testing) it is consistent that the "files" only shows up if I am in Grid or Autosync ON.

That's what I observe too -- I've added that inconsistency to the bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The first time I noticed file and not files in the Library Module, was only very recently. A friend came around with his new Macbook Pro with latest Mac OSX Sierra and Lightroom CC. I had my laptop with the latest version of Mac OSX Sierra  but my Lightroom CC was one or two versions older.

We both selected all images using the film strip in the Lightroom module. On my computer I was offered files, on his computer he was only offered FILE, however, later on in the tuition using the same select all images in the film strip, FILES showed up on his MacBook.

As soon as I upgaded Lightroom on my Macbook Pro I suffered file only.

Also, frustratingly, for many years in the Develop module if I selected all images in the film strip, it wouldn't offer files and only apply matadata to xmp on the main image selected - something I was well aware of but under time pressure occassionally forgot until I noticed the metadata progress bar on several hundred images didn't appear!

I am mot sure when this changed (appears more recently) but files are now offered in the Develop Module using the film strip via either Menu-Bar> Photo>Save Metadata to files (or cmd+S), or ctrl cliicking to access METADATA > save metadata to files.

This is most welcome as there is nothing more frustrating when you under pressure to get images wired if you have to go in and out of Develop Modules, i.e Develop to Library and back.

When the engineers work on the file/files issue I sincerley hope that they we will NOT revert back to saving metadata to file only in the Develop Module, denying users the ability to saving metedata to multiple files in the Develop module would be a backward step.

P.S. John, I have added this information to your post at Lightroom: Develop filmstrip context menu incorrectly shows "Save Metadata To File" rather than "Fil...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry John for the confusion.  I am actually using lr2015.8.    My mistake!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines