• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open or place an EPS file in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read thru the threads, tried File>New then Place>file and I get this error message.  Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Thanks to all for your help and guidance.  I really appreciate your help.  Turns out it was an iD10t issue.  I was trying to place the files in a zipped folder and when I moved the folder from a zipped folder to my desktop I was able access all of my files.  Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was the EPS file created? What version of InDesign? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eps file was created by the graphic designer at the agency i'm using.

version of indesign = 2017.0 release.  have only had it for a few weeks.

OS = Windows 10

Thanks,

Mac

[Personal information removed by moderator - please don't post on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant, what kind of EPS file is it? What program created it? InDesign should be able to place an EPS file unless it has been damaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  The designer just said he created them in indesign 2017 cc, which

is exactly what I am trying to open/place them with

Thanks,

Mac

[Moderator note: personal data removed for public forum]

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 10:35 PM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mac,

just for testing :

1. Do a backup of your EPS

2. Start Acrobat Distiller that comes along with Acrobat Pro DC and drop the EPS to Distiller to create a PDF.
If there is an error message in Distiller's info console, post this here. Maybe that would make it more clear.

If no error is created and a PDF is written open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and inspect if you will be able to use what you see.

Come back here if you are unsure what Distiller settings would be the best.

Also: Open the EPS with TextEdit.app and have a look at the contents of the file.
You could post a screenshot of the EPS opened in TextEdit here.
Maybe that will give us a hint what's going on.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I strongly suggest that the OP not take a screen shot or post all the text from opening the EPS in a text edit app as that is going to be thousands of lines of PostScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Sandee+Cohen  wrote

Can I strongly suggest that the OP not take a screen shot or post all the text from opening the EPS in a text edit app as that is going to be thousands of lines of PostScript.

I hope, that I did not recommend exactly this.
A screenshot of some of the first lines would be sufficient.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use an EPS. Tell your designer that he should not use EPS anymore.

Ask, that he should send you a PDF/X-4. If he has InDesign, as you wrote, he has to export a PDF/X-4 from InDesign to place in other programs.

Your EPS has either the wrong extension or is damaged. But I recommend to avoid EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was made in the same version of InDesign you should sgare a packaged INDD file. That will be editable; a PDF and an EPS will be uneditable graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open EPS files in photoshop I get this error message

Thanks,

Mac

[Moderator note: personal data removed]

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what the file is supposed to be? A logo? A photo? An illustration from PSD? Or a vector drawing from AI?

Try opening in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also (and just FYI), you can't open an eps with InDesign. It's a graphic file format, so you need to place it (as soon as we can help you figure out how to do that) the way you would place other types of graphic images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Sorry.  The designer just said he created them in indesign 2017 cc, which

is exactly what I am trying to open/place them with

Why would the designer take something created in InDesign CC 2017, and intended to be opened by you in InDesign CC 2017, save the file as an EPS file? It should just be saved as an InDesign (.indd) file, and open it in your copy of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that the designer created something like a logo or chart or map or something that he/she didn't want the OP (layout/production) to be able to change.

But, the designer has gotten "stung" by the eps getting corrupt (or saved incorrectly).

Obviously the layout person needs to have the designer change the format of the exported file.

However, as has been my experience with outside agencies, the designers there are reluctant to send native files to lowly production people as they are afraid their precious work will be modified. (Sarcasm included as I've had a bad morning.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar situation with a customer.

Their design house sent weird eps files so the customer could not take over the design or edit them without paying the design agency.

Contractually, they fulfilled their obligations by sending the eps (workable or not).

If the design house created an InDesign file, that's what they should send you. Check the agreement signed with them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for your help and guidance.  I really appreciate your help.  Turns out it was an iD10t issue.  I was trying to place the files in a zipped folder and when I moved the folder from a zipped folder to my desktop I was able access all of my files.  Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No time wasted, just good to learn from new challenges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not wasting time at all. These are the "gotchas" that we have to remember for the next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.

Now, that this is on the table I can remember, that one of my students once opened an InDesign document within a zipped container on Windows 7, I think. And of course was not able to save it.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your designer maybe use "Save as" to change the name to ".eps" whilst still saving as a regular InDesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried placing a different EPS file? One created by Photoshop? One created by Illustrator? One created by InDesign? It's very possible that it is your copy of InDesign that is behaving badly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign EPS files are notorious for use for anything other than archaic print workflows. Trying to place or open them often results in this type of behavior.

Try distilling it into a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines