• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronization - can it do what I want?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my Lightroom CC catalog and RAW image files stored on my desktop PC. I've worked that way for the past seven years: Lightoorm 3, 5 and CC. I'm comfortable with this arrangement. Last year I bought a Microsoft Surface 3 tablet. I would like to set it up so that the contents of one of my Smart Collections is synchronized from the desktop system. This will always be a one-way sync: desktop to tablet. There are some 4500 images involved, all with a complex set of keywords. I would want the keywords and the sub-structure of the Smart Collection retaining. I do not need to have the original RAW files. I will be able to get all that I need from a preview image.

Can this be done? If so, please advise me how.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

There is no Lightroom synchronization between two Windows computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the desired collection(s) using the following steps:

Right-click on the collection(s) and select Export This Collection As a Catalog, make sure the Export Negatives is checked, select a destination for the exported catalog on an external hard disk, attahc the external HD to the Surface tablet, then copy everything to the Surface tablet. On the Surface tablet, double-click on the catalog file that was transferred by this method to open it into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that that is how to extract the subset and place a copy of it on the Surface tablet. But I want the content on the Surface tablet to be synchronized whenever new items are added into the Smart Collection. I am looking for automatic synchronization and not manual replication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Lightroom synchronization between two Windows computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart collections cannot be synchronized with Lightroom Mobile. You can only synchronize regular collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

Smart collections cannot be synchronized with Lightroom Mobile. You can only synchronize regular collections.

You could create a Library Filter Preset with the same criteria used in the Smart Collection. Select the Library filter, Select All images (CTRL + S), and drag the image files into a new syncable regular collection, and sync this collection to LR Mobile.

To keep the desktop and mobile collections up-to-date perform the same operation anytime you import and/or edit image files that might fit the criteria.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greater minds than mine, for sure.

But it still wouldn't be a totally  "automatic" update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed and after thinking about this some more there's no need to create a Library filter. Create a new regular collection that can be synced, select the Smart Collection you want to sync, Select All image files, drag them into the new regular collection, and sync with LR Mobile. Use the same procedure to update the collection after adding or editing files that might fit the Smart Collection criteria. Yeah, it's not "automatic, but pretty simple.

You can also add your vote here for a feature request to sync Smart Collections:

Lightroom: Ability to sync Smart Collections to Lightroom Mobile / lightroom.adobe.com | Photoshop F...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I use Collection Publisher by Jeffrey Friedl to export a smart collection to a local disc. Then I have a syncing service that syncs files to may tablet computer. But you have to start the publish process by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you to all who have replied to my original post. If I am understanding everything you've said, Lightroom cannot, at present, run any kind of automatic synchronization between two Windows implementations. Nor, if I am understanding correctly, can it run any kind of automatic synchronization between a Windows implementation and a mobile implementation if the desired input resides in a Smart Collection.

It would have been nice to have a subset of my master catalogue out on my tablet and for that subset to be kept up-to-date automatically when ever I made changes in the master catalogue that impinged upon the entries in the subset. I've lived without this capability since I got the Surface tablet. I guess I'll have to go on living without it. It's a shame! But there we are. That's life!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines