• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can anyone tell me how to create a custom colored bullet multi-level list?

Participant ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am just learning InDesign, and I am trying to create a multi-level list using custom colored bullets. When I try to customize the color when creating a character style there does not seem to be any way to change any of the colors presented, or to use a custom swatch. Also, when I try to create a multi-level list there does not seem to be any way to do it with just bullets. I have had to create the levels using a number list, and changing ^#.^T to  ^B^T but then it is difficult to insert a custom bullet. Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance.

[Moderator: Moved from non-technical Lounge to InDesign.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the best tutorial I know about how to create multi-level lists.

As far as setting the color for the bullet you want to use a Character Style in the Numbering Style section of the dialog. But you need to create a swatch color in the Swatches panel first (where you can use any RGB or CMYK color) and then reference that color in the Character Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve for your prompt answer.

Did you intend to include a link to a tutorial? I don't see one.

And secondly, that is my whole problem. I do have a swatch with the RGB values that I want, but when I try to access it while in the Bullet and Numbering Dialog box it is not available in the color swatches offered in "character color". Is there some way to migrate my color swatches over to the color choices?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create a Character Style with the Swatch and apply the Character Style.

https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/how-to-make-nested-bullets-multi-level-lists-in-indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here was the tutorial I forgot to link:

Numbered Lists — Part II Multi-Level Lists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a swatch with the RGB values that I want, but when I try to access it while in the Bullet and Numbering Dialog box it is not available in the color swatches offered in "character color".

Is the color you want to use visible in the Swatches panel when the file is open? If not, start with step 1. If yes, on to step 2:

1. Add the color swatch to the Swatches panel in this document.
    InDesign CCss_009.png
  2. Create a character style that uses the swatch:
    InDesign CCss_010.png
  3. Create a paragraph style to add the bullets that calls in the character style to format just the bullet.
    InDesign CCss_011.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much all ... these are all very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines