• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there some reason that Adobe has not implemented symbols into Photoshop yet?

It's been requested for over 6 years now (if not more 0 that was just a quick search in the requested feature section). In order to complete with tools like Affinity and Sketch, this is a top priority. It actually kind of boggles my mind that this has not been implemented yet, since it's been in Illustrator for a while now.

Smart Objects are definitely not the answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly are Illustrator’s Symbols more useful than Photoshop’s Smart Objects in your opinion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I guess you meant the »Image Hose« functionality.

Photoshop: Image Hose - Extend Clone Stamp tool | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Does anyone know if there some reason that Adobe has not implemented symbols into Photoshop yet?

I assume (and I know that’s not the same as »knowing«) the cost and the benefit have not been deemed to be proportionate yet.

23 votes in six years would seem to indicate a modest demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean a symbol, like in Illustrator, Sketch, Affinity Designer. Image hose is completely different.

You update one instance of a symbol and all instances update, but on top of that you can edit text to be different and if you stretch an object it won't distort (rounded corners, etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
but on top of that you can edit text to be different

Not familiar with that, how do you create instances of one Symbol with different texts in Illustrator exactly?

Edit: If it should involve using »Break Link to Symbol« it would not be an advantage over Smart Objects in my opinion, what with the way one can use the Layer Comps of a SO in the containing document.

You update one instance of a symbol and all instances update

How is that different from SOs updating?

Or are you talking about being able to edit an SO’s content within the containing document? If so the expectation to be able to do that in a meaningful way in Photoshop is unrealistic for the time being (considering the possible combinations of Color Spaces, bit depths, resolutions, transformations, Filter applications, …) and I think Mr.Cox has explained the reasons repeatedly.

if you stretch an object it won't distort (rounded corners, etc)

So you mean 9 point scaling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines