• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting a "metadata for this photo has been changed by another application" message. What do I do?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The metadata for this photo has been changed by another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?

I relaunched my LR catalog from a backup and now the photos all display this message.  What is the correct answer?

[Edited the title for clarity and moved this thread from the non-support non-software-specific Lounge to a Lightroom forum. - Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Well then if you had said that in your first post I would of said to Overwrite the disk settings. That will remove the preset applied to the complete catalog.

Don't worry about the Auto write option. Just Overwrite.

But if you reopen your working catalog you might be faced with the same thing or having that preset reapplied. So I would take that backup catalog you have open and Overwrite your working catalog with it. You would do that with the File Manager for your OS. Have LR closed when doing th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case at thins time I would suggest the correct answer is to Read from Disk. But then I have LR set to Auto write changes to XMP.

Do you have that option checked in the LR Catalog settings? If you do then my above answer stands. Could be that backup you opened didn't have the current edits you did to your images.

I would test on a few images, not to important images to see what if anything happens to them. See if the edits you've done to them has changed.

May I ask why you opened a backup catalog instead of the normal working catalog file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had accidentally synced a preset to my entire catalog and the only way I could seem to undo it was by going photo by photo and going back in history and after posting my original what can I do to fix this; it was suggested that I relaunch a recent backup catalog and that seemed to be a much quicker way to fix the issue than going photo by photo for tens of thousands of photos.  Where exactly do I look to find out if I have LR set to auto write to XMP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well then if you had said that in your first post I would of said to Overwrite the disk settings. That will remove the preset applied to the complete catalog.

Don't worry about the Auto write option. Just Overwrite.

But if you reopen your working catalog you might be faced with the same thing or having that preset reapplied. So I would take that backup catalog you have open and Overwrite your working catalog with it. You would do that with the File Manager for your OS. Have LR closed when doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines