Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color picker shortcut

Participant ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used to bring up the  color picker with cmnd+opt+control+click in image. Worked great. Now nothing happens. I'm not sure exactly when I lost it; it's been awhile.

I'm on an iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6 and PS cc 17, latest update.

I've searched many times, and thought maybe an El Capitan shortcut was interfering, but I don't see one.

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Photoshop user guide>image and color basics>choosing colors, then scroll to 'choose a color while painting'

one line says

"Note: The HUD color picker requires OpenGL(See Enable OpenGL and Optimize GPU settings)"

This is where I went to check my settings

Preferences>Performance

make sure box checked for >use Graphics Processor(restart PS if this was not checked)

under Graphics Processor settings click Advanced settings

Next

Drawing mode>choose advanced

all my 5 boxes are checked including use OpenCL, use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be what you are looking for per say but if you go into your Edit drop down and select Keyboard Shortcuts you can change the P key to be the picker instead of the Pen tool, if you use the Picker much more heavily than the pen tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. That works, but the picker remains on screen. The shortcut I mean puts up the picker only for so long as I click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that you have chosen a paint tool before you press control+option+command+click?

Found instructions that helped me by searching HUD color picker then scrolling to "Choose a color while painting".

Double check Enable OpenGL and Optimize GPU settings.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a brush and am in an active area of the painting.

Thanks for the tip on searching.

I'm not sure what those settings are or how to check them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop user guide>image and color basics>choosing colors, then scroll to 'choose a color while painting'

one line says

"Note: The HUD color picker requires OpenGL(See Enable OpenGL and Optimize GPU settings)"

This is where I went to check my settings

Preferences>Performance

make sure box checked for >use Graphics Processor(restart PS if this was not checked)

under Graphics Processor settings click Advanced settings

Next

Drawing mode>choose advanced

all my 5 boxes are checked including use OpenCL, use Graphic Processor, Anti-alias Guides paths, 30 bit, use native OS GPU acceleration.

Hope you can follow this. Just a "Note" I saw. I am new to forum and do not know if links or screen shots allowed. But I do know how frustrating it is when a tool stops working the way it should.

Running OS 10.11.6, Photoshop CC(2017)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LGH1492,

You nailed it!!! It's fixed!!! I think I may have shut off "use Graphics Processor" to try to improve performance a while back. Also OpenCL was not checked. One (or both) of those fixed it! THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For future reference you can take screen shots and place them in your reply. It makes it easier when describing a problem as well as explaining settings.

How to take and post screenshots:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263#4209263

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works on CC2017.0.1/OSX 10.12.3

Before you use ctrl-opt-cmd-click,

1. Be sure you select the brush tool

2. Be sure the image is active. (white title in the document tab)

3. The Brush cursor must be over the image, not the surrounding area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I am now running sierra, same as you, but it is not working.

All those parameters have been met. I have a brush tool, in an active image, clicking in the image itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines