• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing images - driving me a little bonkers !

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All - hope you can help

Something that really should be very simple is proving to be very far from it !

I am currently attempting to resize images for print. I require some small images of around 5cm in height (all portrait), and I need them to remain at 300 dpi.

No matter how I enter data in the sizing panel, I cannot get them to resize correctly and remain at 300dpi

I have tried checking and unchecking the resample box, and I have exhausted the various options in the drop down menus, all to no avail !

If anyone could offer assistance it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Image size dialog, first check Resample, and make sure that the lock icon is active to constrain proportions.

Then enter 5 in the Height box.

resample.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks..

Ok...done that. Unfortunately the image is not sized correctly. This is an outcome that has been happening continuously...Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shouldn't be necessary to do, but what happens if you try to set "Fit to" to Custom before you change the size?

If that doesn't work, try resetting your preferences. If you're using the latest version of Photoshop, go to Edit > Preferences > General, and click Reset preferences on quit, and restart Photoshop. Note that you will lose most customized settings when doing this, so you should back up the Photoshop settings folder first. For CC 2017, it's located in
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Settings

Also, you seem to be enlarging a small image, which will lead to some quality loss.

If possible, start out with a high resolution image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per

Thanks again...changing the 'fit to' to custom has not made difference.

I've also started by using the high resolution image. the screen grab above was the 'completed' resize, which as you can see is incorrectly sized.

just to check...if I were to reset preferences, would I lose anything else other than customized settings ?

If so, it may not be an issue I have not set any customized settings myself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you type 5 and end up with 4, then something is wrong, so I would try resetting the preferences.

The only other possibility I can think of is that something is wrong with your keyboard.

Resetting preferences is quite safe, what it does is to reset all settings to factory default, and it does not in any way affect your saved work. If you haven't done any customization (like custom brushes, keyboard shortcuts or workspaces) there is no need to back up the settings folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...now done that, and the issue remains.

the attached below is sized as illustrated on the right, however as you can see the final image on the left is not sized as instructed.

btw ...my original image post was accidentally sized at 4cm, so as far as I can see there are no keyboard related issues....

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...as an aside...if I size the image as if it were going to web (ie change the dpi to 72), it allows produces a correctly sized image of 5 cm in height.

the issue seems to be around the dpi that will not allow correct sizing ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am looking at the screenshots and apart from the one where you had a 4 instead of a 5 I can't see a problem.

I understand you have asked for 5cm height at 300 ppi which should give an pixel height, after resampling, of 591 pixels which appears to be what you are getting. (You also correctly got 472px for your mistyped 4cm height image).

Where are you seeing the size issue?

If it is after printing then you could have some scaling going on in the print driver.

If it is on screen against the on screen ruler - then your Preferences need to be set to 300ppi in the print resolution box so that the ruler is correct.

If it is physically measured on screen using View - Print Size - then the ppi for your monitor needs to be set in Preferences so that the on screen image is correct.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a feeling that you are expecting the image to be 5 cm tall on screen - but that's not the way it works.

Digital images do not have physical dimensions - they have pixel dimensions only. The ppi (which is metadata) is only used for printing, and helps the printer driver to calculate the printed dimensions.

So to print an image that is 5 cm tall (1.97 inches) at 300 ppi (pixels per inch), you need 591 pixels, because 591:300 = 1.97.

Photoshop does the math for you, and will show you the physical dimensions, although they are not a property of the image.

The physical size of the image on screen will vary - depending on the physical size of the screen, and the screen resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per..

That's exactly where I am at - I was indeed expecting to see a five cm high image appear as is on screen.

I seem to recall when sizing images in previous versions of PS, this is what happened, and therefore what I was used to !

Dave - given the above, and your helpful explanations, could you possibly elaborate as to where the ruler settings would be to enable on screen viewing at correct sizes ?..if indeed that is possible ?!

I ran my issue past a photographer that I was working with in the week, and his set up in his studio appeared to be the immediate visual match of sizes on screen that I am after, but he couldn't understand how I was getting different results !

thank you both for your time....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Go to Preferences - Units& Rulers

There are two settings you need to input :

The first is print resolution - this is used to set the print size in inches/cm when displayed against the onscreen rulers

The second is Screen resolution and requires you to know how many ppi on your actual monitor (mine is 100ppi). This is used to set the zoom level when displaying using View - Print Size

If you get both those two inputs correct and use View -Print Size then the image will be the same size as the intended print and the rulers should match a real ruler held against the screen.

Note : This view is just to give an idea how the print will look at full size. When judging sharpening and blending always use 100% zoom which will normally be much larger (i.e. zoomed in further) than actual print size.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the screen resolution, start with your monitor's horizontal setting in pixels, 1280 px in my case. (For a 1280 px x 800 px laptop screen setting)

Then place a ruler on your screen and measure the horizontal visible area.  11 1/4 or 11.25 inches.

Get your calculator out and 1280/11.25 = 113.77 and since  pixels are whole units, round that off to 114 ppi, and input that as Dave explained.

Then when you go to View > Print Size, the onscreen size will match the physical print size, inches or cm.

Trivia: Photoshop was released on the Apple Macintosh first using the legacy 72 ppi screen resolution of the 1984 Mac as the hardwired Print Size setting.

It wasn't until around CS that Print Size would adjust for the custom screen resolution set in Units and Rulers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys...

thank you so much for all your input. I shall pop back here after trying all the above.

That annoying work malarkey has gone and got in the way !

I shall report back

thanks, again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...so this is where I am at..

All of the above taken heed of. Many thanks

I have divided 1920 (My monitor's horizontal setting) by 21 resulting in 91 as a ppi (rounded)

Having used 'view -print size' , it now appears as an accurate physical representation of my inputted desired sizes - so thank you for getting me this far !

However, Perhaps time and diminishing brain cells has clouded my memory, but I seem to recall being able to have the exact sizes represented straight away on screen?. The issue I have is that I need to have completed, correctly sized images to be able to move them into in design for a layout.

Perhaps I am getting confused with sizing of images for web whereby WYSIWYG ?

I think my confusion lies with the fact that the image I need to see would be 5cm high, on screen@100%

At the moment, having hit 'view print size', the image on screen is only 25%.

Does that make sense ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are misunderstanding Photoshop 100% zoom.

Using 100% zoom  the image is mapped 1 image pixel to 1 screen pixel. It bears no resemblance to the print size.

Using  View Print Size - then the image is shown at the print size (the zoom level Photoshop uses to do this depends on both the screen resolution and the print resolution settings)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...with that said, am I to presume that we cannot get a 'finished' sized image on screen without the use of view - print size or using save for web function ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timp1  wrote

So...with that said, am I to presume that we cannot get a 'finished' sized image on screen without the use of view - print size or using save for web function ??

For print you are correct.

For web "physical size" depends on how the web page is built and whether the browser will scale it (e.g. on hi res screens)  and the screen it will be viewed on. For example, if I view the same website on a large desktop screen it is a different physical size to that on a phone.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

I'm still left with a bizarre feeling of having this unresolved, however I think I'm going to put that down to getting my sizing and sized for web confused....

So, just to clarify...if I was to hand resized files to a designer to enable him to move them around a layout, he would also have to 'view -print size' ?

Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

It does not matter who is using Photoshop - print size is only the same physical size on screen as the size in print with  View Print Size and the preferences for screen and print resolution set correctly.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just keep in mind that with Photoshop, physical reproduction size is always a secondary "afterthought".

Photoshop works with pixels, that's the basic unit. A file is fully defined by the pixels it's made of.

A pixel can be any size you want on paper. For print, you therefore need to define a pixel grid to fit the file into, and this grid is given by the resolution parameter ppi - pixels per inch.

On screen it's a different matter, because there already is a pixel grid - the screen resolution. If the screen is, say 1920 x 1080 pixels, the file "snaps" into that pixel grid. If you have a file that is 960 pixels wide, it will fill exactly half of that screen width.

The "print size" function in Photoshop is an approximated calculation based on the number it has for screen pixel density, IOW the screen resolution value you enter in Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines