• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign won't let me save anything!

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just properly installed InDesign after finishing the free trial, and now for some reason when I try and save/export any documents I've made it stops responding and I have to shut it down. The documents are being recovered automatically when I open it back up, but I'm getting frustrated and confused with it because it's worked fine until now and as soon as I actually pay for InDesign it ceases to function. I need this to work for a uni assignment, please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us a little more about your setup:

1. What operating system?
  2. What version of InDesign?
  3. Are you saving to a local or to a network drive?
  4. Are using the same installation of InDesign that you used for the trial (just added the license so that you can continue to use it)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm not familiar with some of the language, but I'm using the most recent version of the MacBook Air so whatever Apple products use.

It's the Indesign CC.

I'm just trying to save to my MacBook desktop so I have a .pdf version of both documents, so a local drive. I've just tried and it's allowing me to publish online but not save.

Yeah I've just installed it today after the trial ran out and I clicked add license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just trying to save to my MacBook desktop so I have a .pdf version of both documents

File > Save is used to save the InDesign (.indd) file.

File > Export is used to create a copy of the .indd file as a .pdf file.

Which one isn't working? And did it work before you added the license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of the save or export options are working, the program freezes for a couple seconds and then the little colour wheel pops up to indicate it's loading but nothing happens and I have to force quit. I've also noticed now as well that it won't let me perform certain functions like adding text boxes or placing images.

Export and save worked fine before the license was added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try two different things:

1.) Trash Preferences:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

then

2.) InDesign > Preferences > Advanced Type and disable Type Contextual Controls
IN Prefs 2017.png

Come back and let us know if this makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it's letting me click 'Save' it now, but still exporting isn't working. Also when I got to 'Save As...' it's still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, you did both of the steps listed above?

After that try saving to a different folder.

And is it all files that you are not able to save or is it just one file that is missed behaving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried to follow the steps again that you outlined and when trying to open InDesign back up and open the book that was saved it's crashing again so now I can't actually view anything. I'm at my wit's end with this. I'm trying to retrieve the document and it's not there now????? I'm getting really angry about this, I can't afford for this to all of a sudden pack it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no doubt you're feeling angry about this. I would be feeling the same way.

I have never seen InDesign delete a file off the hard drive so I'm hopeful that it is still there. The priority now is to locate the file and put a copy in another folder, or better yet on another drive.  Is InDesign saying anything about a recovery file?

Recover InDesign documents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was before I followed those instructions, but now when I opened it up it doesn't say anything about recovering the file. I made sure to save the file before I shut InDesign down but it's not listed in any recent files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link I just gave you shows you how to navigate to the folder with the recovery files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to locate the files and have them saved to my desktop now and on a USB just in case. But I still can't place any new images/export/save as... anything. Would you be able to offer a plan B?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew!! Ok, back to the software.

Here are are my thoughts:

• If it's the software, then trashing preferences will restore the defaults and InDesign will return to working normally. Notice that there are two different ways to delete the preferences in this file. If you already tried the first one and that didn't help, then try the second one. Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

• Finally there is a known bug on InDesign CC 2017 on the Mac. After trying the steps listed above,  if you are still having trouble, go to preferences and disable type contextual controls. This tends to solve a number of the weird things that can happen with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fiona—are you able to save your files again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbinder I am having exactly the same problem!

I've gone through all the steps above and still wasn't able to save the recovered document. Every time I open back Indesign it recovers my document but when trying to export a PDF or save the InDesign file it gives me the saving spinner and stays there forever. When I go to Force Quit it shows "InDesign not responding".

Is there anything else I can try to solve this?

Thanks - really appreciate your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But you can reopen the file? That's a good start. Did you try saving it under a new name? Or as IDML, and then close it and reopen it and save it back as an INDD?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines