• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove White (or any color) from Gif/Image

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a gif, and I'm trying to remove the back ground (it has a transparent bg when I download it, but  a white bg shows up in AE)

IK most of you are gonna say "change blending mode to multiply" because that what I see everywhere. But that makes my whole gif semi transparent.

Is there a way I can select a color (any color, including white) and make that color transparent or remove that color entirely? I've looked for this everywhere and could not find anything 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what keying is about.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first open the gif in Photoshop and see what you have really got there. Then when you have removed the background or just enabled transparency, export as a movie from Photoshop with transparency. After Effects sucks at gifs. It's almost always the most inefficient tool for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open the images in Photoshop and take out the white background there by clicking double clicking on the layer -> blending modes, and play around with the sliders at the bottom, it's a super fast way to do this. but you may have to do it with every frame..

A gif is a sequence of images, and if those images are imported at JPGs then they definitely won't have a transparent background. PNGs do transparency, JPGs don't. Not sure if that's helpful in your case but something good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JoshP,

Did you solve your transparency issue? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines