Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very slow resizing and arranging of objects

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow InDesign users,

I am experiencing a very slow performance of InDesign – but only when resizing or arranging objects (via the arrange palette). Everything else works fine as far as I can tell.

To illustrate what I mean, here is a real-time video of resizing a group of objects to 90% of its original size:

I call it the Resize Dance, which was funny at first, but after experiencing it a while, it really gets annoying.

Searching for this issue in this forum I only found a similar sounding problem here, but none of the suggestions worked. I have tried the following:

– Deleting preferences (and cached preferences)

– Relaunching the CCLibrary process as described here

– Ensured that your firewall is not blocking Creative Cloud–associated processes

– Ensured that your hosts file is properly set up

I am using the following:

– InDesign 12.0.0.81

– Mac OS X 10.11.6

– MacBook Pro (15 inch, mid-2010)

I would be really glad about any kind of help!

Thank you and best regards

Alexander

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

So, here is what I just found out: it's the palette "information" („Informationen“ in my German version) that is slowing down InDesign. As soon as I close that palette everything works smoothly again. Very weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you turn off Type Contextual Controls within Preferences > Advanced Type?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, thank you for your quick reply to my question! I couldn't check until now, but unfortunately that didn't do the trick. I found the solution, though, and will make a post on it next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does happen if you turn of the Profile prefliegt during work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi, thank you for your idea as well. I just tried it and it didn't change anything either. The grouped object still takes more than 2 minutes to resize to 90%. Very weird... but I found the solution and will make a post on it next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, here is what I just found out: it's the palette "information" („Informationen“ in my German version) that is slowing down InDesign. As soon as I close that palette everything works smoothly again. Very weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexander,

the engineers are working on the problems with the Info panel.

I'm also eagerly awaiting a first bug fix version of InDesign CC 2017 12.0.0.81 now out since about 5 months.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

thank you for the information. I hadn't heard about issues with the info panel yet, so I had to go through trial-and-error.

Now I am looking forward to the fix myself, although I do not need the info panel that much and keeping it closed fixes the issues for me. But one has to know that first. I have deleted my prefs so many times in the last weeks... as I now know, all in vain.

All the best,

Alexander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexander,

I have a similar problem. ID CC 2017 is incredible slow on everything although I'm running it on a SSD. Every search & replace by GREP is slow, every repositioning of graphics, even changing text ... I can't see this rotating circle anymore!

I have tried all suggestions and nothing have helped -- even not yours!

The only work-around was to save all as IDML, start InDesign CS6, make any adjustments (it's incredible fast in CS6!!!), save as IDML, and finally open again in ID CC 2017 for fine tuning.

Very annoying!!!

Best regards,

Ulrich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ulrich,

I am sorry to hear. But thank you for your hint to use InDesign CS6. I am currently downloading it and will give it a try. I already installed Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 as well and they seem to work more fluidly as well.

I hope you will find a solution for your problem. This forum seems to be a good source, but also a chat with one of the supporters may be helpful. I found a solution to a problem that way for Muse really quickly.

Best regards

Alexander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the palette? I am having a problem with slow ID too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks ! Preflight slows down my entire Indesign, now its smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines