• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding photos that are modified in PS

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got LR and PS a week ago.   Upgraded from Elements so most of the basics are going okay, slightly different interface, especially in LR.

Anyway, I edited in PS 2 images from some images in my catalog.   I saved the edited images as jpg into the same folder that I had the original raw files.  I see those files when I use the file explorer,  However, I can't seem to find them in LR.   When I do a save as from PS, did I miss an option to add them to a catalog?  I have tried to add the files from LR and even when I navigate to the same folder where the jpg exist, they are not seen and don't have an option to therefore import.

What am I doing wrong or missing?  

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

As "shoot me" is suggesting, LR can keep track of an image you are sending to PS.   However, if you start in Photoshop, create copies or somehow make new files, Lightroom can't know to register them in the catalog.  

Lightroom provides a solution.  Using the folder panel in the Library, select the folder, right click and choose Synchronize.  It will launch the Import dialog and you can see any files that are "new" to LR.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the Edit In function in LR to send the files to PS?

If you did use the Edit In function did you use Save or Save As in PS?

What is the Sort: set to in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty certain I launched the edit from LR.  I know I did a save as and saved as JPG. I have no filters in LR.

LR in the folder panel lists 36 photos.  Explorer has 36 raw plus the 2 jpg files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

francisl61708089  wrote

Pretty certain I launched the edit from LR.  I know I did a save as and saved as JPG. I have no filters in LR.

LR in the folder panel lists 36 photos.  Explorer has 36 raw plus the 2 jpg files.

There is a Function in LR for sending images to PS. It is in the Right Click pop up menu "Edit In" then select the version of PS installed on your system or the menu item "Photo" > "Edit In" then again the version of PS installed.

That is the only way to properly send images from LR to PS and have them show back up in LR after they are Saved in PS.

Also using the Save As option in PS will break the link between LR and PS and the Saved As file will Not show back up in LR.

In the LR Preferences on the External Editing tab there are 2 external editor sections. The first usually lists the version of PS that is installed on your system (Sometimes LR, the OS and PS get confused and nothing shows there) and the second section is for the user to define another external editors they might want to use. In the first one JPG as a File format is not an option for good reason (Lr can export any image as a JPG so why use PS to do that). The second one you can select JPG as an output format.

I suggest you start with reviewing some of these LR Tutorial to get a better understanding on how LR works and how to work with LR.

http://laurashoe.com/2016/10/27/new-to-lightroom-an-introduction-to-lightroom/?utm_source=MadMimi&ut...

Lightroom CC tutorials

Julieanne Kost, Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist, Adobe Systems, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

using the Save As option in PS will break the link between LR and PS and the Saved As file will Not show back up in LR.

Actually "Save As" works just as well - Lightroom records the new name and location and adds it to the catalog. I just tested it to be absolutely sure.

What does break the link is if you close Lightroom before saving from Photoshop. In that case even a regular "Save" will not be visible in Lightroom, and you have to synchronize to bring it in. Lightroom has to remain open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is something new then or you are using the Save As and not giving it a new name.

I just tested and you are right even if you rename the file. So this is something new as that was not the behavior in previous versions of LR and PS.

But only if you save as to the file format you have selected in the LR external editing tab of the preferences. If you change the file format the file does not show back up in LR.

Since the OP is saving as a JPG which is not an option for file formats with the first section of the external editing tab he is changing the format and that file will not be shown in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now I got it (I think):

If the file is saved as a copy from Photoshop, it doesn't show up in the Lightroom catalog. Then it's branched out from the original and disappears from Lightroom's view.

Saving as a copy is what happens when you save out to jpeg from, say, a 16 bit file (which jpeg doesn't support).

If, however, you first make sure the file is flat and 8-bit, you can save the file directly to jpeg, and this jpeg is added to the Lightroom catalog and shows up whether it's a save or save as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand what you are talking about.  I will have to experiment with the save as options.   As I am just moving from Elements to LR/PS still learning.  I use to go all the time from ELements editor and when I saved as, it just went to catalog.  I was always annoyed that it gave the saved photos a 0 rating, and did not inherit the original, but it did make it easy to find the new files, just filter for 0 stars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does put it in LR if i give it a new name.

I think your last paragraph is the key, and how I was having a work-flow coming from Elements.  This may need some adjustment for LR/PS.

Basically, I would take the raw file, edit it and then save the results as a JPG.  For the most part, I didn't care about how I got from the raw to a jpg.  I always go back to my days in film.  I had a negative (raw) that I created a print (jgg).  I was trying to catalog both the negative and then any copy I produced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, good idea to look at some of the videos.   Prior to converting I watched a class on creativelive on LR so I thought from that I knew enough to get started.  I had worked for about 2 yrs in Elements so thought I understood enough of the basics of Elements and how it related to LR/PS.  What I need to understand better is the relationship between LR and PS and how to use that in what was my previous workflow in Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As "shoot me" is suggesting, LR can keep track of an image you are sending to PS.   However, if you start in Photoshop, create copies or somehow make new files, Lightroom can't know to register them in the catalog.  

Lightroom provides a solution.  Using the folder panel in the Library, select the folder, right click and choose Synchronize.  It will launch the Import dialog and you can see any files that are "new" to LR.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The options for "import new files" and "remove missing files" while, checked are greyed so so can't change them.  This doesn't find them.

I renamed the jpg by adding -1 to the end of the name and when I sychronized again it found and imported them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just the fact that the jpeg format has very limited support for various file properties. If the file has those properties, you cannot save directly to jpeg. Photoshop has to split out a simplified copy of the file that meets the requirements - and so you have two instances of the file, an original and a copy.

Lightroom watches the original, follows its path and adds it to the catalog as it goes. The copy is effectively a different file and is ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines