• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't export or save an idml. from an indd. file (CC) as it crashes every time.

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export a Creative Cloud indd. file into an idml file so it can be used in an older version(CS6) but every time I try to export or save as an idml CC crashes.

I tried a number of times modifying the content in the original indd. and discovered that when I removed pages of the document which included tables on it would export to idml. Is there a problem with downgrading tables created in CC to a file that works in CS6? I could really do with being able to export/save the whole document to idml, has anyone come across this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"has anyone come across this problem?"

Yes, FWIW. CC seems to be touchy when it comes to exporting and importing IDML and can crash. Haven't found an answer yet. It's worth filing a bug report with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is probably more generic. Read points 9, 14, and 17, and 18 (for starters) in my

Adobe InDesign CC 2017 Troubleshooting How-to Guide

One of these suggestions will probably salvage you.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a look at the tips in the troubleshooting guide and see if anything solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work if you package the document?

And in the future, if you need a CS6 document, you might just as well start out in CS6 as long as you’re running an operating system that will support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when packaging the document crashes at the point of creating the idml.

I do have the option of using CS6 as I still have both at this moment but I was hoping I could focus on using CC since I purchased it recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

the question is what version of CC you would like to trust most.
If there is no particular feature in CC that you have to use CC I'd stay with CS6 8.1.0 if you are more familiar with it.

CC 2017 is new and there is still no bug fix version released.

Because you have a subscription you can install all of the versions of inDesign from CS6 to CC 2017 on your machine and using them side-by-side. So you'd better go with CC 9.3.0, CC 2014.2 or CC 2015.3, maybe alternatively: CC 2015.4.1.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But back to your problem with crashing.

Yes, there is a problem with "downgrading tables" from CC 2015 / CC 2017 to CS6 or CC 9.3.0 or even CC 2014.

There is a new table feature named Graphic Cell.

If you are using this feature extensively you'll see that all your graphic cells are converted to text cells and the images with graphic cells are transformed to anchored objects.

Before, table built with CC 2017 using graphic cells:

TableWithGraphicCells-CC-2017-IDML-opened-with-CS6.png

After opening with CS6 using IDML exchange:

TableWithGraphicCells-CC-2017.png

Note the different insets in the cells.

Example: In CC 2017 you cannot see any differences with cell 1 and cell 2. But internally there are differences in inset values.

Before the cells were converted from text cells (default) to graphic cells, cell 1 and cell 2 had different inset values.

These values do show up again after opening the IDML with InDesign CS6 where the import mechanisms tries its best to read out valid infomation. All that's not known to CS6—graphic cell attributes—is ignored.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the hanging on IDML export issue with a simple layout. I could
Solve the issue by creating a new empty Indesign File and moving all the pages from the old buggy file into the empty file using the Move Pages command in the Pages Palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines