• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export on several Disks via USB-C

Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CPU/GPU usage is very low due to a bad setup of HHD/SSDs. Has anybody an idea if an USB-C Port can handle effectivly several drives at once over a dockinstation. I'm a Laptop editor so I always have to struggle with few a small internal drives and few ports. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure if a usb hub or laptop dock will have any negative impact on sharing usb ports, but a usb 5gbit/s port itself should have speeds capable of running 2-3 hdd's or 1 ssd, like the samsung t3. a 10gbit/s usb 3.1 gen 2 port is 2x as fast and could use something like the Glyph Atom RAID ssd to get faster speeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is new faster portable SSD device that if your Type C port is Gen 2 (10 Gbits/s) you can get this type of speed:

CrystalDiskMark Bench Results

I have not tried this device yet but it does sound a little interesting.  The only problem I have it uses two SATA III M.2 devices in RAID 0 so you really need current backups.

With this device or even with the Samsung Portable T3 SSD devices you really no longer need multiple hard disk drives to smoothly edit in Premiere Pro

The Samsung is whagt I use on my laptop and my workflow all project files and media files are on one device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all advice!

@RoninEdits: In my experience simple splitter limits speeds at a USB 3.0 port I don't know why

@Bill Gehrke: One project of mine can easy go up to 500GB and I might have running several at time so I need a solution for both: as much space as possible (to reduce the time of Data shuffeling) and as fast as possible.

Thanks for further adivce!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Samsung T3 is also available in 1 and 2 TB sizes so you really might not need several at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines