• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of Storage?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I free up storage space on my Lenova computer? When I try to import more photos, a message says I'm out of storage, which must be due to photos. I've tried deleting hundreds, and also emptying the recycle bin, to no avail?

Under LR, I'm showing +12,000 photos. But under catalogs, folders and collections, the number is much less than the 12K. There are 4,000 in the "missing" file; where are they...are they taking up space?

Could I have duplicates in the Lenova photo program, same as in LR. Is there a good way to identify such?

One option...I have a WD Passport, and already have many pics on it, but could store more there. But first I want to understand where is the occupied space?

Please help; thanks

Roger

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

In reality, you should still consider the hard drive as being full. A hard drive needs 15-20% free disk space at all times to function properly. It's probably time to start moving images to an external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your hard drive and how full is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "missing" files are images that were previously imported, but then you deleted them apparently not using Lightroom. This causes the preview files to remain in the catalog. You can right-click on those missing images and remove them from the catalog, but I doubt you will recover a lot of free space. What is the capacity of your hard drive on your computer? How much free space is reported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt reply. The computer has 238 GB capacity which is now

"full". Photos with 188 GB, systems 23 GB, Apps 9, Docs 7 and Temporary

files 14.4. Other stuff with less amounts of storage. Of the Temporary, 10

GB are in Recycle Bin. I had already attempted to empty that bin, but have

now done so again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you replace the hard drive with a larger one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions. For now, I plan to unload all my photos onto the WD Passport external drive. I had an extraordinary number of photos (4,000) last year due to a month in Africa. So once I'm done working with them, maybe the computer capacity will suffice. Mainly I wanted 2-3 layers of back ups, and have that without the computer...with the memory cards, and the external drive plus a device I used on safari to copy each card daily. Actually this has caused me to trash many photos that needed to go anyway; something that was easy to procrastinate.

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After re-emptying the recycle bin, I now have 228 GB in use, versus a 238

GB capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality, you should still consider the hard drive as being full. A hard drive needs 15-20% free disk space at all times to function properly. It's probably time to start moving images to an external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will do.

Any thoughts on why the LR Total number shows more than sum of individual folders/files? Could this be duplications in both LR and the other (computer) photo system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing I can think of is that those missing files are still being counted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of pictures reported in Lightroom are the number of images you have in the catalog. This number has nothing to do with the number of files on your hard drive.

Your hard drive may have images you have not yet imported.

Your catalog may have images that you deleted from your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, thanks for the additional information. It helps me understand how LR works, which is tricky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently you helped me with a LightRoom question. Hopefully you can advise

on another...is there a way to change from RAW to JPEG formats, other than

going through the import or export process?

Thanks

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom never changes the originals, so the only way to get a jpg from a raw file is by exporting. (you can't do this when importing)

And raw files can't be converted into a new format, they can only be the basis for new files (in a different format)

To get a better understanding of how Lightroom (and digital images) works, you may find these articles helpful:

Lightroom basics

File formats

What is a digital image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for the information and for being available.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Per Berntsen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines