Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing smart object content as a batch process

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I'm hoping to find some help creating a script/action that will fire a load of images from a specific file and replace the smart object in a psd template, saving as a separate jpg each time. Essentially like a batch process that saves me from going in and out of the folder using the Layer>SmartObject>Replace Contents pathway.

Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what exactly are the steps you want to take? Do you have a folder of images that you want to replace in the templates smart objects? if so, does it matter which goes where, or are the files in the folder in order that you want them replaced in the smart objects? Are the files the same size and orientation as the smart objects. Are the smart object layers nested in groups? I most likely would be possible to do with a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, basically I have a load of t shirt designs to go through. I've set up a psd template with the jumper as the background layer (psd is here if needed Template - Google Drive​ ) , then a smart object layer sized and positioned in the right place. So i essentially need a script that will look in the folder containing all my designs, grab them one by one, replace the smart object contents with each design, and save out each time as a jpg.

I essentially need a batch process which goes through my folder of designs, replaced the smart object content with each image in that folder.

Hope this makes sense! Thanks again for getting back to me!

Rik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just floating the possibility... If you don't need to use smart objects and there is a set maximum pixel width for the designs, then this could be done via variables (data driven graphics) using pixel replacement layers in a two pass workflow (first step to batch create the merges, secondly to resize/position the layer content and save out the final files). Although not an ideal workflow, it would likely result in the job being finished way before custom scripts were written.

EDIT: One such example here – Re: Data-driven grahics​ and you should not have to worry about using the resize script as the pixel replacement layer has resize options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen!

Thanks for the response! I have used data driven graphics before, and i did consider it for this. However i was looking for something more flexible, i.e. without investing time setting up the filenames and data sets. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, a script is great if it can cycle through an input folder or selected items in Bridge etc. Because I can't write scripts, the alternatives are often quicker and easier. The image paths and setup of the dataset takes just a few minutes, which for me is faster than posting on a forum and waiting and hoping that somebody will help with a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah i completely agree, using data driven graphics has saved me loads of time in the past. I just figured it would be great to speed the my workflow up even more. Next step is to get of my arse and learn a bit of Javascript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I know what you mean, learning a new language is not easy... I have put scripting on hold to try to come to grips with Regular Expressions, as this is the best use of my "free time".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha tell me about it! I figure it will be worth it though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may wan to search the Scripting Forum or start a thread there.

Photoshop Scripting

Batch replace smart objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks c. Pfaffenbichler!

I'll float the question over there as well. Unfortunately I don't have much scripting experience

Rik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines