• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming layer adds hidden line break which breaks expressions.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Sierra and now I'm experiencing the issue of when you rename a layer it adds a hidden line break which makes it impossible to link to via expressions. I understand Adobe has fixed this issue in the latest version of CC17 but I'm a user of CC14 with no intention of switching to 17 anytime soon (I tried it and still can't get consistent real time playback which is a deal breaker for me). Is there any fix for Sierra users on CC14 or any chance this will be updated? It's a serious bug that renders the software pretty much unusable (if you use any kind of expressions).

Expression Error.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Remington_M  wrote

That does work! Thanks for that. I'll give CC17 a fair shot but this may end up being the least of all evils. I had tried other things but the double delete does it.

Quick idea for CC 2017 and your 60fps comp:

I will bet that if you dock something underneath your timeline composition panel, you'll get realtime playback. So put something you don't use often while you're working (Wiggler panel, Render Queue) docked underneath your timeline panel and shrink it down pretty small.

Tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your current CC14 to the latest build.

FYI Most users, including me, are finding 2017 a more stable and productive build. You can have both on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did update to the latest build of CC14 and I'm having the same issue.

And I understand that a lot of people are having more success with 2017 but that hasn't been the case for me. Here's an example of a simple comp that has been playing back for over 30 seconds and can never get fully up to speed (60fps because I work on UI).

FrameRate.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a change in Sierra that affects all versions of After Effects except for an updated CC 2017. It has to do with how the Mac OS handles keyboard inputs. The newest version of AE had a code change to address this change. Older versions of AE will just have the issue and you'll have to work around it.

I'd really like to get preview working for you instead of you having to deal with an older version of AE. You don't happen to be using a Dell (4k) P2715Q monitor, are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I understand it wasn't After Effects fault but I would question how many users are on older versions and given the severity of this bug why a fix couldn't be put out for it.

But yes I agree, the ideal solution would just be for 2017 to work properly. No, I'm using an Apple Cinema Display with a Mac Pro (Late 2013). I'm on Sierra 10.12.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the most recent versions of AE, I haven't been having any crucial slowdown issues like you're experiencing, but then, I'm working on a smaller screen than you are. Do you notice any improvement if you shrink the vertical size of your AE application window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to stay with 14 the. Every time you rename a layer press the enter key to start then the delete key twice before you start typing the new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does work! Thanks for that. I'll give CC17 a fair shot but this may end up being the least of all evils. I had tried other things but the double delete does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remington_M  wrote

Quick idea for CC 2017 and your 60fps comp:

I will bet that if you dock something underneath your timeline composition panel, you'll get realtime playback. So put something you don't use often while you're working (Wiggler panel, Render Queue) docked underneath your timeline panel and shrink it down pretty small.

That should solve the issue for CC 2017.

The AE team fixed an issue very similar to this an update or two ago, but I think you're hitting a less common, but similar bug. See if this workaround does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried shrinking the size and it didn't seem to help at all. It did help to switch to 30fps. That seemed to play back well, but unfortunately doesn't help me much with all of my work being done at 60fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you work in a 60 fps comp, but set your preview panel to only preview every other frame? Does that give a solid real-time playback? You don't really need to view your working previews in 60 fps - as long as it's playing back real-time, that should be sufficient. Than, when you render, it'll still be 60 fps.

If that works, you will be able to use CC 2017!

(I still say you should be able to get solid 60 fps playback, but that may require some deeper troubleshooting and/or bug fixes. Have you tried talking with Adobe's support? If not, when you have time, give them a try, but ask for the video queue when you call or chat.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an off topic comment about 60fps video. Unless you are planning on slowing down your original footage or emulating the look of a video game shooting and producing at 60 fps is a waste of bandwidth. You will not get a cinematic look to your project if you shoot and produce at 60 fps. The Hobbit - produced at 48 was a complete fail visually when viewed in a HFR theater. All of the drama was gone. This was the opinion of almost everyone that wrote a review. My wife and I went to opening night, bought the expensive seats and sat through about a half hour before we got up and walked out. It only took my wife about 5 minutes to whisper to me "what's wrong with the movie? I can't watch it." We exchanged our tickets for cheap seats, waited about 20 minutes, and walked into the standard 24fps theater and enjoyed the film a lot more. There was still a lot more short shutter judder in some of the moving shots, but the presentation was much more cinematic and we were drawn into the story instead of constantly rubbing our eyes trying to figure out what was wrong with us.

If you are going to produce your final product at 60 fps you need to know the limitations of that frame rate. Most of the time, in nearly every video that I have seen at a HFR, the viewing experience is not as easy on the eyes and does not draw me into the action and drama of the scene as well as footage at 29.97 or 24 (23.976). For 99% of the kind of work that I do HFR (60 fps) would not improve my delivered product.

If you want the HFR look to your project, go for it, but take the time to do some comparisons and testing. Blind test your first few renders before you take invest the time and resources required for a 60fps production.

One last note, I do shoot some of my effects shots at 60 fps so I have more data to work with when I'm tracking, pulling procedural mattes and adjusting the timing of the shot, but when I shoot at 60, after producing the composite, I will render at 29.97 or 23.976 and introduce a more cinematic motion blur to the action (CC Force Motion Blur is pretty great at doing this) so that the look with match the rest of the production.

I hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remington_M  wrote

...give CC 2017 a fair shot

Sorry, I meant to say composition panel in my last post.

Dock something you don't use directly under your composition panel. I'll add the Progress Panel to my list of suggested panels you could use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that did it! We actually troubleshooted this at my work last week with Adobe and found this solution. I can full speed previews now on CC17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remington_M  wrote

Yup, that did it! We actually troubleshooted this at my work last week with Adobe and found this solution. I can full speed previews now on CC17.

Hooray! I hope you're enjoying the new version as much as I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines