Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inaccurate image size

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been experiencing a very frustrating issue with Photoshop CC 2017 on Windows 10: the images are displayed in Photoshop are much smaller than their "real" size. If I open an image at 150 px, I see it as roughly 100px on Photoshop. The rulers and any other image properties also indicate the smaller size. When I save it or export it for web it's in the "real" size (150px). This problem persists no matter the size, format or resolution. It's basically as if everything is at zoom 66.67%

Here comes a screenshot of an image of 500px open in Photoshop and in Google Chrome.

It's incredibly annoying since I need to see the work I am doing at the same size and quality as the final exported result. I have looked high and low for a solution to no avail, even reinstalling the program. Is the only solution to uninstall CC17 and revert back to Photoshop CS6 (with which I never had this issue)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS you have the resolution set to 300 PPI. A web browser displays things at the monitor resolution, 72 or 92 PPI.

The rulers in PS are telling you the image is 500 x 500. I don't see you have a problem. What happens if you set the resolution at 92 PPI in the Image size dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the resolution to 72 doesn't affect the image's size at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't. Photoshop only uses the resolution to set the rulers not the display size with one exception. Print resolution and screen resolution in preferences are used to calculate the zoom level used by Photoshop to display when using View Print Size.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand, but it still doesn't solve the issue... I just want to see my work at the same size and resolution on photoshop as it will be seen on other programs. My display resolution is 1920x1080, is that why this is occurring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is strange as it is not a hi res display (in the way that a 4k display is).

Try this :

Make a new document ( or resize and resample an existing image)  to 1920 pixels wide . At a zoom level of 100%, it should fill the full width of your screen (not just the window) .

Repeat with a  960 pixel width image. At 100% zoom it should be exactly half the width of your screen

If it does - Photoshop is displaying correctly and you need to look at why your browser is resizing

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1920px image does not fill my screen, it's about two thirds of it (same goes for half the size of the picture). I suppose the problem originates from Photoshop, perhaps some Preference setting but I have tinkered with those and haven't found a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really puzzled now - is that screenshot you shared a full screen?

If so, and appears to be as Per Bernsten stated it is 1920x1080 , it is showing the 500x500 image as displaying correctly.

Can you share a full screen , screenshot with image size dialogue showing as before, for the 960 pixel width image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, if you open the screenshot in a new tab, the cursor should change to a + (magnifying) cursor, when clicking, it will enlarge to full size. At least it works that way in my Opera browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Per,

I just loaded it into Photoshop and agree completely with your previous post. It measures 1920 x 1080 and the 500 pixel square is the correct size whilst the browser image has been scaled up

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is displaying correctly. I opened your screenshot, which is 1920 pixels wide, and on my monitor, (1920 pixels wide), the image is 500 pixels wide. (measured with a screen ruler)

Chrome is displaying at 750 pixels, so it probably has the zoom set to 150%. Set it to 100% (Ctrl+0), and it should display the same size as Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have a hi res display.

At 100% zoom Photoshop maps 1 image pixel onto 1 screen pixel. That is what 100% means - it has nothing to do with a physical size.

Many browsers however, scale up the image on a hi res screen so they map 1 image pixel onto more than one screen pixel.

Photoshop is acting correctly as a pixel editor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines