Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automate vector to raster image tool

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

When I'm making documents in InDesign, I usual work with vector graphics to create the print version but when I have to create the accessible/web pdf version I have to go through and replace all the vector graphics with raster version so I can give them alt text and have them work properly as an accessible pdf.

Is there a tool that would convert all vector graphics to raster and replace them in the file? This would be so helpful and save so much time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

I'm not 100% certain it will serve all your needs, but you can assign alt-text to vector objects.

Select the object, right click and choose Object Export Options...

Choose Custom from the Alt Text Source menu, click in the field, enter the desired alt text, and click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not 100% certain it will serve all your needs, but you can assign alt-text to vector objects.

Choose Custom from the Alt Text Source menu, click in the field, enter the desired alt text, and click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience, vector graphics such as PDFs, are not just treated as objects and any text inside the PDF is pulled out and read (with inconsistent results).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Mensinger  wrote

John's answer is correct!

Now, you might think it's not working properly because the Alt text doesn't show up while hovering the graphic in the PDF reader.

(I guess it's because Vector graphics are not considered by Acrobat as single objects, but multiple objects.)

That said, Alt text assigned to a Vector graphic is read while Read Out Loud is turned on.

Isn't it what you expect at the end?

Vinny

Small thought: "Is it because I use CS6, but I can't access to Object Export Options with a right click. I got to select the object, then menu Object > Object Export Options."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I respectfully disagree, at least based on my experience. Adding alt text does not convert a vector to a raster for accessibility purposes. I have documents that use charts created from excel data. The charts are pdfs. When placed into the ID doc and then exported, the charts do not show up as images but as text paths (as shown when viewing the content or read order in Acrobat). In this state, every item of text in the chart, whether an axis value or a title, gets read. To get the charts to show as an image (and only then the alt text will be read properly), I found I had to unlink all the charts before exporting. This seems somewhat counter-intuitive, to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines