Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

psd-file of 200 MB is said to be larger than 2 GB and can not be saved

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear forum,

we are experiencing a strange behaviour on our graphic workstations on which we recently deployed CC 2014.

During testing, a psd-file of 200 MB containing 3 layers with dimensions of 5400x1957 (72 dpi) could not be saved giving the error message "file could not bei saved because document is larger than 2 GB".

There are 2 strange things which I cannot explain:

a) why is the .psd of 200 MB said to have more than 2 GB?

b) why can it be saved easily using CS6 and not at all saved using PS CC2014 or 2015.3 ?

I know there is .psb for large documents, but this is even more proprietary than .psd and not suitable when using other software.

Is there a hint how this issue could be resolved? I already played with the file options like "compress psd and psb"

Thanks in advance for your help!

Silvan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

I can't equate the dimensions you gave in the first post with those in your screenshot (assuming the rulers are set to pixels?).

A couple of things to think about though :

1. For an 8bit RGB image - File size is roughly pixel height x pixel width x 3 channels   (4 channels if there is a layer mask) x layers. Divide the answer by 1048576 to get MB

2. With maximise compatibility switched on Photoshop also saves a flattened version of the layered file within the PSD

If you are reluctant to use psb, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three straightforward pixel layers of 5400 x1957 = 95110200 bytes for 8 bit and 190,220,400 bytes for 16 bit.

However there is something which could make the document much bigger.

Is one or more of your layers a smart object?

Whilst a smart object appears to be a certain pixel size, within that smart object container can be another single or multi-layered document with a much bigger size.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply- Indeed the images are larger than the dimensions of the psd. But even if I extend the canvas-size to the image size i won't get a file larger than 266 MB as *.psb-file. It is an RGB file with 8 Bit color depth.There are no smart-layers but one masked layer.

Cheers

Silvan

Filesize_issue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't equate the dimensions you gave in the first post with those in your screenshot (assuming the rulers are set to pixels?).

A couple of things to think about though :

1. For an 8bit RGB image - File size is roughly pixel height x pixel width x 3 channels   (4 channels if there is a layer mask) x layers. Divide the answer by 1048576 to get MB

2. With maximise compatibility switched on Photoshop also saves a flattened version of the layered file within the PSD

If you are reluctant to use psb, you can save up to 4GB as a layered TIFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines