• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDESIGN: How can I grab page numbers from pdf link file names in order to create an index?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m working on a workbook and creating the index seems to be the more challenging part of the project. The way they have the catalogue set up is by pdf images they call style cards.

The question I have is how can I generate the page numbers quickly?

We have both a numerical index and a product index. Is there a way to generate the page numbers by the pdf link name? All of the pdf file names are organized with the product number and name. In the past I'm pretty sure the production artist had manually added the page numbers to the excel spreadsheet at the end of the project. Then would copy and paste the spreadsheet then format it. I just want a fast way to generate the page numbers so we have something to show in the early stages.

I’ve seen some hacks people have done by grouping invisible text with an image. That’s cool and all but we really believe there has to be a more efficient way to grab from product numbers in the link name to create page numbers. I’m thirsty to learn how to do this. If you have any extra info for how I can figure this out will be super appreciated!

Thanks for reading this!
-Veronica

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 11.11.04 AM.png

Style Card Example

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 11.10.39 AM.png

Product Index Example

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 11.12.06 AM.png

Spreadsheet Example

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this to see if it can be of help: LiveIndex – Id-Extras: InDesign Scripts, Tips & Solutions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the quick response. That's not quite what I was looking to do. I want to be able to generate page numbers quickly by the linked images. More specifically I was wondering if there was a way to maybe use indesign cohesively with excel. By adding the link names to the spreadsheet maybe I can somehow generate and add the page numbers to the spreadsheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines