• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic recomposition of lost or missing -HDR.dng and -Pano.dng files.

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I have lost some derivative HDR.dng and Pano.dng files created in Lightroom. I still have the original RAW files, and my Lightroom catalog, with all of the metadata intact. So, given:

• DSC1232.NEF
  • DSC1233.NEF
  • DSC1234.NEF
  • Complete and intact Lightroom Catalog containing all edits to HDR.dng and Pano.dng files

Is it possible to have Lightroom recreate the lost DSC1234-Pano.dng or DSC1234-HDR.dng file on disk? Lightroom should have all of the necessary input data to the HDR and Panorama merge functions. Right? Or does Lightroom not store any metadata about the inputs to HDR and Panorama?

I want to recreate these lost DNG files exactly as they were the first time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what you did to them before. If you accepted the defaults, you can just select those raw files and bake new pano or HDR files. But if you chose merge settings that were not default, no, those settings are lost.

Are the missing DNGs still shown in the catalogue, and with Develop adjustments or Library metadata? If so, you could merge 1232-1234 again. You will then get a DSC1234-Pano-2.dng, so two DNGs for the image - one new, one old and missing. You can then sync the adjustments/metadata to the new one, and remove the old one from your catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/john+beardsworth  wrote

If so, you could merge 1232-1234 again. You will then get a DSC1234-Pano-2.dng, so two DNGs for the image - one new, one old and missing. You can then sync the adjustments/metadata to the new one, and remove the old one from your catalogue.

You can't sync or copy the develop settings from a MISSING file.  You would have to go to the operating system and copy or rename the new DNG DSC1234-Pano-2.dng to DSC1234-Pano.dng and then restart restart Lightroom and the file will no longer be MISSSING and should reflect all the develop settings.  Then remove the MISSING DSC1234-Pano-2.dng from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right. It may be a bug as Photo > Develop Settings > Copy and Sync Settings are both enabled but do nothing, and one can certainly sync the settings via a plugin.

So yes, use the OS to rename the file. I was hoping to avoid that complication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you notice, the SYNC button in this situation is DISABLED so the menus should be also.   The data is apparently there for missing photos so this operation could be allowed as a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The data is certainly there - I could copy everything from a missing file to another using my Syncomatic plugin.

Equally, the menus are enabled so it's the Sync button that's wrong. It's more that the UI is inconsistent. Some elements imply it should be possible, and it is possible to sync if you have smart previews defined, but other UI elements imply it's not possible. My guess is that it's more likely to get fixed if it's treated as a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree.  If the menus are enabled than the feature should be enabled.  Beings Syncomatic works the sync in Lightroom should be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines