Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Available Conditional Build Tag Expressions

Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm part of a team that works on a version control project that encompasses content across numerous business lines with a lot of shared content between them. This means that we use conditional tags quite a bit. I'm new to the group and have been playing around with the tags in the topic, previewing it, and then experimenting with different tag expressions to see what is made invisible and what remains.
But now, all of the tag expressions that I defined in the preview window while messing around are still present and I can't remove them. All of the new expressions really crowd out the standard set we use for legitimate testing and I just know this is going to piss my co-workers off.
Please, any help you can provide in undoing the useless clutter I've created would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007
Hi all

Hopefully Colum will pardon my intrusion into the thread. I believe the expressions that are created are added to the ProjectName.PSS file. One easy way to get at this is to right-click any topic, choose Topic Properties, then the File tab. Now click the Open Folder button. Bingo! You are now in the general area. If your topic is inside a folder, you may need to navigate up the tree once or twice to the root of it. There you should find the PSS file.

Edit the PSS file using Windows Note...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi raynerts and welcome to the RH community. Where exactly do the build tags remain? In the topics? In the Conditional Build Tags folder? If the later, open up your project's rhbuildtag.apj file in notepad - take a backup first - and remove the tags there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum, thanks for your response.
The file you directed me to has in it the tags we use throughout our project - which is cool - but the problem I'm having isn't with the tags that are defined in the "Conditional Build Tags" folder in the Project Manager, it's with items in the "Conditional Build Tag Expression" drop-down when you preview a topic.
Let me try restating my problem... hopefully that will make the issue clear:
I select a topic, I then view the selected topic using the glasses icon (CTRL+W), then at the top of the new window that's displaying my topic is a drop-down menu. This drop-down menu allows me to choose the conditional build tag expressions I want to filter the content displayed. For example, one of the choices is "NOT Tag_A AND NOT Tag_B" which excludes anything marked with Tag_A and Tag_B. The problem is, in that drop-down, I now have like 20 choices of expressions. Before I started experimenting with the various expressions (by clicking the "Define" button to the right of the drop-down), there were only 6 choices. And I'd like to get it back to the original 6 choices.
I didn't add any new tags, I just created new combinations of ways to preview the content using those existing tags.

Does that explain my problem any better?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum

I chanced upon this because I seem to have the other problem you alluded to in your response. I wish to temporarily hide the tagging of text from my project, and the menu command which normally does this: View/Show, then uncheck the conditional areas check box fails to do this. Any suggestions. Does 6 have a way of protecting Tags?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it does raynerts. If you select one of the build expressions in the topic preview, click on the "Define" button and exclude the tag from the output. Click OK and it disappears. You'll need to repeat this for each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, we're almost there, Colum. The process you describe is exactly what I was doing before I posted to this forum. However, after defining a bunch of expressions to see how they changed the appearance of the content, they became part of that drop-down menu. I don't want them to be part of the drop-down menu... they were just experiments. And now they're crowding out the real expressions the rest of my team uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RValk. There is no way to hide a build tag from a project or the menu item to apply/remove them. If you remove a build tag from a project, it also removes all references to it in the topics. Is that what you meant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I may not have been clear - not for the first time! If you go into this dialog and remove the tag from the "exclude" column, the "NOT xxxx" tag is removed from the drop down list. Does this explain things better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Hopefully Colum will pardon my intrusion into the thread. I believe the expressions that are created are added to the ProjectName.PSS file. One easy way to get at this is to right-click any topic, choose Topic Properties, then the File tab. Now click the Open Folder button. Bingo! You are now in the general area. If your topic is inside a folder, you may need to navigate up the tree once or twice to the root of it. There you should find the PSS file.

Edit the PSS file using Windows Notepad. My expressions were added at the bottom of the file.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r
Hi all

Edit the PSS file using Windows Notepad. My expressions were added at the bottom of the file.

Cheers all... Rick

Brilliant!
That's where those nasty guys were hiding. Now I can play around with the tag expressions without worry.

Out of curiousity though, where are all of the other expressions listed in that drop-down hiding? The PSS file only housed the ones I had added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Not quite. I just want to stop showing the tag in the WYSIWIG view. Not to remove text or remove the tag, but make it more readable while I regvise the topic. The finctionality was in RH5, and the menu option has not changed, so I'm puzzled.

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin. You seem to be referring to the cross hatch that appears over text that has a build tag applied to it. Right? You can amend the colour of this cross hatch to be the same as your background. Go into your build tag folder and edit the properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2008 Jun 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Hi Robin. You seem to be referring to the cross hatch that appears over text that has a build tag applied to it. Right? You can amend the colour of this cross hatch to be the same as your background. Go into your build tag folder and edit the properties.

Hi Colum,

Thanks for the idea! I tried this today. Unfortunately, I liked it only up to a point. If I only apply one conditional build tag to my text, this works beautifully. However, if I apply multiple build tags to the same text, then the black cross-hatch (AKA "hash marks") that indicate that "there are mulitple build tags here" will still appear over my text.

~Sigh.~ It was a great idea, but for me, in almost all of the places where I apply build tags, I will apply more than one to any given text.

Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

That's an elegant solution indeed - I'll modify it so it's there but way less obtrusive. Gives me the best of both worlds, and I am very grateful.

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2007 Oct 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no build expressions added to a project by default. There are two build tags added by default to the RHBUILDTAG.APJ file. Only when you define the expression is the entry added to the project's PSS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2008 Feb 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:
This has been an unsolved problem for years. I never got a solution and am just coming back to RoboHelp, sadly. My first disappointment reopening the project was selecting preview and seeing all the conditional build tag expressions. I too had experimented with the boolean until getting the desired mix. Now I too have many unused and unwanted conditional build tag expressions in the Preview pull down menu. I do not know how to delete them. They are not listed in the PSS file and are thus not Global Build Tag expressions. They are some kind of Prevew Build Tag expressions. The only other file that is updated is the CPD file, but that is a coded file and not editable with notepad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fenway21117 and welcome to our community

You might try closing RoboHelp, renaming the .CPD, then restarting RoboHelp. It should re-create a new .CPD file as a result.

Give that a go and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2008 Aug 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting entries from the "Global Build Tag Expressions" section of the PSS file, and then deleting the CPD file, do not get rid of the build expressions when I reopen the project and preview a file.... Anyone have any other ideas of how to get rid of them? I don't have MS Access, so I can't open the CPD file and edit any database entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Mr. Wizard,
renaming the .CPD file does work, like driving your car off a cliff onto rocks below. All the Preview Conditional Build Tag Expressions are gone, even the ones i wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

As long as you simply renamed the .CPD, you should be able to reverse the process. Then note the expressions you actually want to keep. Then repeat the process again. You might wish to create a new layout, then select and use the expressions you want to keep first. I'm thinking this may force an update to the PSS file and maybe recursively propagate the desired build expressions back into the new .CPD.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems i now have a corrupted project file. I will have to start over again with a safe copy. This suggestion of yours will probably work, but it will be time consuming and difficult especially if the project keeps crashing. How much better it would be if there were just a simple mouse click to delete unwanted Preview Conditional Tag Expressions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Indeed I couldn't agree more. If you (and others) would like to put this request in front of the eyes that can make a difference, Click here and complete the form you should find there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete the PSS file. (Make a backup of your project first but it shouldn't be necessary). If you delete that and the CPD, which also rebuilds, I have found the expressions are trashed reliably.

If you are using a version earlier than RH7, look at Opening Projects on my site. Earlier versions may lose some information that is easily rebuilt.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I deleted both, and the expressions are still there in the preview window, even though neither the new nor the old PSS and CPD files have any mention of them. (I found someone with a copy of Access and was able to look through the tables.) I'd made sure to delete the .bak files too, and I even rebooted my machine to be superstitious. I'm using RH 7.00.145 on Windows XP.

So I'm guessing this info. must stored somewhere else, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are talking about the build expressions and not the conditional tags in Project Manager?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp