Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintaining Color Formatting in a Table Linked from Excel

Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experts: I am formatting multiple files with many tables that must be pulled directly from Excel in order to ensure updated and accurate numbers. I used the file -> place command and then selected "formatted table". The initial placement worked well, but now I am having major troubles with the table formats. After updating, the shade of grey that was used in the tables has changed in some places, resulting in a mess of mis-matched tables and shades of grey. The Excel files are still properly formatted with all of the correct colors that InDesign should be pulling but is not. Does anyone know why this is happening?! I need a solution that does not include manually going through and changing the colors in InDesign or re-placing the files given that I have an extremely tight deadline.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

If you double-click on a swatch colour, you should be able to change each of them to RGB which will update your document.

Otherwise, you can create the additional swatches, then delete the 'old' one from the swatch palette confirming the replacement with the new one. This is a slightly longer process.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of ID? Version of Excel? Operating system? Before and after screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 2017, Excel 2013, and Windows Operating System. Here are the before (lighter grey) and after (dark grey) issues (with purposely data removed/crossed out). Additionally, some of the tables have dark grey in spots where there was no fill at all before. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the ones that are changing. Before.PNGAfter.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quick test. Enable separations preview and run your cursor over the grays. What are the percentages before and after?

Another test would be to add the colors to the swatches panel and see what they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The before is: CMYK: 36%, C: 14% M: 11% Y:11% K:0%

The after is: CMYK: 65%. C:25% M:20% Y:20% K:0%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding the swatches as RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will I then need to update the colors in each individual table or should adding the swatch as RGB automatically update the issues with the tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double-click on a swatch colour, you should be able to change each of them to RGB which will update your document.

Otherwise, you can create the additional swatches, then delete the 'old' one from the swatch palette confirming the replacement with the new one. This is a slightly longer process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, thank you! This seems to work. However, is there any way I can ensure that they won't change every single time the tables update? They've already changed back with updates  and I don't want to continue to repeat this process for all of my different documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good point. The syncing process will re-import the updated data as well as the formatting.

Make sure to control the style of your table with table styles based on Paragraph styles and Cell styles. When importing the tables, check the box to display the import options as you can control what is imported.

My preference is to rely on Table/Cell styles because if they nee to be reapplied it is done in a single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines