• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-installing LR5 and having trouble setting it up to my libraries.

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac died, and I had to get a new hard drive.  I just got it back, and am trying to reinstall my software.  I have LR5.  I have it re-installed now.  When I try to import photos, I cannot get it to be put in the right place.  I have My LR Photo folder still..  but when I go to import, on the right there are only two subfolders: 

File Handling

Apply During Import

That is it!  Where did my Destination folder go?  I used to be able to see all my folders in there. 

Can someone please help me figure out how to set this back up? 

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

I think you are importing with the Copy method instead of the add method. Do you understand the difference? Do you know what a catalog is, and how it is different than the application? Is it possible that your old catalog is inside of that folder named 2016 Lightroom?

Take a look in that folder and see if there is a file with the .lrcat extension.

Here is something I wrote about Import Add versus Import Copy. Where did my photo files go after I imported them into Lightroom? | Orchard View Color 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have the previous catalog that you used before the computer died? You shouldn't be reimporting anything. Find the original catalog and open it, or import the original catalog into the new catalog you have created.

The destination folder is not showing because you are trying to import with the Add method instead of the Copy method. You don't need to copy the images anywhere because they are already where they belong, so you don't need a destintation folder. BUT you probably don't need to be importing anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... 

I am trying to move the library over by Copying, etc..  I cannot get it to work.. I did manage to get the photos over but they are putting them in weird places.. I am trying to figure out how to get the paths correct again if that makes sense?  I will try to post some screen shots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 9.33.46 AM.png

To the left is my folders in LR

My finder is the white box, and I have it opened to how the folders SHOULD be labeled. 

That is the first issue.

Next is I cannot get it to import correctly in the right place..  It makes all these extra folders and I have to figure out how to fix that path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you are importing with the Copy method instead of the add method. Do you understand the difference? Do you know what a catalog is, and how it is different than the application? Is it possible that your old catalog is inside of that folder named 2016 Lightroom?

Take a look in that folder and see if there is a file with the .lrcat extension.

Here is something I wrote about Import Add versus Import Copy. Where did my photo files go after I imported them into Lightroom? | Orchard View Color 

Let me know if this helps you figure out why your folders don't match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines