• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to blend and boarder a background with an image?

Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I go about doing as is in the attached image below? I have to do up a poster and like the effect of how the image is blended into the background.

bishops.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the pattern was set on top of the image using a blend mode like soft light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

1. With the pen tool, draw a path in the shape of the border - extending off the canvas at the sides

2. On an empty layer stroke the path with a brush set to the gold colour

3. Fill a second new layer, between the two layers above with the pattern you want. Make a selection from the path and add a layer mask revealing the selection

4. Add a text layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfect, thanks very much for your help.

Dave if I could as one final question on it - what's the best may to make the selection from the path and add a layer mask? I used the quick selection tool but found there was some white edging along the path colour line in places. Maybe I used a wrong brush for the path stroke.

Again... thanks a lot for your help thus far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Good questions.

what's the best may to make the selection from the path and add a layer mask?

To make the selection from the path - go to the paths panel and with the path highlighted click on this symbol at the bottom of the panel

Then just go to Layer - Layer Mask - Reveal selection.

......found there was some white edging along the path colour line in places. Maybe I used a wrong brush for the path stroke.

To stroke the path select a brush of the right size and set hardness to 100%. That will give a nice crisp line. Then, with the layer selected that you want to stroke to, go to the paths panel again and click on this symbol at the bottom of the panel.

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's perfect Dave, thanks very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines