Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyphenation exception ignored

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm experiencing a very strange behaviour in InDesign CC 2017.

I have a special word inside a footnote which is hyphenated wrongly. Therefore I have put the word in the user dictionary. I've tried two variants, first with correct hyphenation points, and second without any. Unfortunately ID is ignoring both and insist on the program's decision how to hyphenate.

What can I do?

Best regards,

Ulrich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

I have solved the problem! When I set in preferences the option under user dictionary "Benutzerwörterbuch in Dokument einlesen" ("read user dictionary in document" my bad translation 😉 it actually applied all entries in user dictionary. Otherwise it seems to ignore it and only uses decisions made in the document ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyphenation exceptions are set per language. Check if you added it to the right language dictionary (or, alternatively, check if your footnote text has the right language applied).

See Spell-check and language dictionaries in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the language setting ("Deutsch: 2006 Rechtschreibreform") in the footnote paragraph style ("Fußnotentext"), and it is the same which I have in my preferences ("Deutsch: 2006 Rechtschreibreform"). I have looked in /Users/uli/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/de_DE (the path which is shown in preferences) and the word actually is in the file added.txt.

Any further idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you should check what paragraph style is applied to your footnote text and adjust (or turn off) the hyphenation settings.

Select the text with your text cursor, open your Paragraph style panel and right click on the highlighted style to Edit it. Check the settings in the Hyphenation section.

If this is not helping, please add in your comment more details, for example, how did you set the formatting of your text.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in case nothing of the above won't work for some reason, you always have a backdoor workaround: apply No Break to that word. I'd include a regex in a footnote ParaStyle for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a work-around. But honestly InDesign should do this correctly -- if it wasn't my fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved the problem! When I set in preferences the option under user dictionary "Benutzerwörterbuch in Dokument einlesen" ("read user dictionary in document" my bad translation 😉 it actually applied all entries in user dictionary. Otherwise it seems to ignore it and only uses decisions made in the document ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I have a similar problem, I found your thread. I suppose the correct English translation in the preferences is "Merge User Dictionary into Document".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines