Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart object video frame won't play on frame animation timeline

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a 5 sec video file that I converted into a smart object - the video plays fine in the stand alone window.Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 3.51.41 PM.jpg.

When I import the smart object to the animation timeline (minutiae screen capture v3) the video won't play when running the animation.

Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 3.48.46 PM.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

To tell the truth I have never use Make Frames from layers when the are Layers within several layer groups.  I have only use that option when there was just a layer stack without any groups within the layer stack.  However I do not see to have any problem when there are groups!

Capture.jpgrotate.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you posted is a Video Timeline. You did not use the Button Create Frame animation. Here is wnat a Frami animation Timline looks.Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack,

Thanks for your input, let me try to clarify a bit more. Below is my frame animation (screen 1), frame number 15 (red arrow) is a smart object linked to a .PSD file containing a 5 sec video sequence (Screen number 2). I would like the frame animation to play the video sequence inside frame number 15 when I click "play animations"

Is this possible or is there another way to implement a video sequence inside a frame animation timeline?

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.39.50 PM.jpg

Screen number 1

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.41.47 PM.jpg

Screen number 2

Hope this helps, thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop renders  Pixels for the smart object layer's  object and uses those pixels as the layer content. The are locked and can not be changed. It like and image Pixel layer.

The easiest way to do what you want to do is perhaps to open your video in Photoshop. Use the Video Time Line fly-out menu to make frames into layers  then target  all the layers in the layers palette.  Then drag from the layers palette those layers and drop them onto to your frame animation document image window. Then add the layers to animation as frames.  Delete your smart object layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJ,

Followed your recommendation, this leads me to the next problem. The moment I create more then one frame in the timeline, I'm not able to choose "Make frame from layer" and import the entire group of layers as you suggested.

Not sure how to get around this?

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 12.41.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 12.41.43 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAAD  wrote

Hi JJ,

Followed your recommendation, this leads me to the next problem. The moment I create more then one frame in the timeline, I'm not able to choose "Make frame from layer"

Then do not do that. Drag in all the layers from your video document you created layers from frames into your frame animation document. Move them to their place in your layer stack.  Then use the Create Frame animation button to create the Frame Animation Timeline and use the fly-out menu make frames from layers.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I follow, I created a group containing all frames from the video animation (intro video seq). As you can see when I click timeline and create a "frame animation timeline" I can select "Make frames from Layers" as you can see in Screen number 1. However the moment I create another frame (let's say I want to add the TEST text to this frame) I'm no longer able to choose "Make frame from Layers".

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 1.26.30 PM.jpg

Screen number 1

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 1.26.47 PM.jpg

Screen number 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To tell the truth I have never use Make Frames from layers when the are Layers within several layer groups.  I have only use that option when there was just a layer stack without any groups within the layer stack.  However I do not see to have any problem when there are groups!

Capture.jpgrotate.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines