• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jagged "Etch-a-Sketch" Lines in Photoshop CS6 on Mac?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Recently my photoshop went from having smooth clean lines to having these bizarre, jagged "etch-a-sketch" lines whenever I do a brush stroke.

I am running Photoshop CS6 13.0.6 x64 on a 2013 15" Macbook Pro and using a brand new (as of today) Wacom Intuos Pro medium tablet.

I tried uninstalling multiple versions of the Wacom tablet drivers for a 2013 intuos pro that I've had, bought the NEW Wacom intuos pro tablet, installed that and still got the same lines, installed an older "legacy" version of the driver and still got the weird lines. Then I uninstalled Photoshop itself since it's been having a few scattered bugs that may have crossed over from an older macbook pro, downloaded and installed a "clean" version from Adobe and I STILL get these jagged lines! For a bit I was testing out using an iPad pro with Astropad to see if I could phase out my graphics tablet (nope, not yet) but I have been switching back and forth between the wacom tablet and the iPad without issue for months until this week.

You can see the difference below. I am working on a 20 x 25" 300dpi canvas compared to something I did in January (the pink/purple/blue in the background)! I have my brush smoothing turned down to 10% so it is quite smooth but doesn't chew up my RAM. In the white canvas, the lines to the right were drawn quickly and the lines to the left were drawn slowly as it appears to only show up during slow strokes.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.15.52 AM.png

Here is a close up:

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.23.23 AM.png

It is extremely embarrassing to be in the middle of a very important job and having to submit work with this kind of line quality.

Any help? Thanks!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

I have done that with both the old tablet and the new tablet. The new tablet will only connect with the latest driver yet the old tablet connects with multiple versions of the driver and I am still having the issue in photoshop.

I contacted Wacom technical support and they told me it is an issue between their drivers and MacOS Sierra and there should be an update ("""they are working with Apple to resolve the issue""") at the end of this month.

So I suppose I have two 350$ paperweights and have to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an update I did not even think of if this helps at all:

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.39.41 AM.png

Not the prettiest, but this was done with just my finger on the touchpad of my Mac. Sooooooo... not a photoshop problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you turn on your SMOOTHING setting option in Photoshop?

Select a brush in PS, then click on the WINDOWS bar on top. Then go to BRUSHES and turn on the SMOOTHING function.

See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have and had smoothing on and it does not seem to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that doesnt work, you need to uninstall and reinstall your wacom drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have done that with both the old tablet and the new tablet. The new tablet will only connect with the latest driver yet the old tablet connects with multiple versions of the driver and I am still having the issue in photoshop.

I contacted Wacom technical support and they told me it is an issue between their drivers and MacOS Sierra and there should be an update ("""they are working with Apple to resolve the issue""") at the end of this month.

So I suppose I have two 350$ paperweights and have to rely on my iPad and the Astropad app for now or use my boyfriend's windows computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines