• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help me work out if this is slow, or normal

Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm used to LR being slow, but this? this is utterly ludicrous.

Its a new install of windows, all my drivers are up to date, windows is up to date, everything is squeaky clean.  Lightroom is up to date (2015.9)

The images are on a raid 5 with 7 disks, the cache and library is on an NVME ssd, (I tested putting the library on a different ssd, made no difference) and cache is set to 80gb. Use graphics processor is off and use smart previews is on.

My computer is an i7 5820k with 64gb ram, system drive is ssd. (graphics gtx970)

when I apply one of my presets in develop mode it sometimes takes 10 seconds before i see a change.  Is this normal? its a complex preset with some sharpness reduction in a radial filter and some more in 4 gradients, but i swear it never used to take 10 seconds.  Other times the program seems to hang. Becomes unresponsive, part of the interface is waiting to be drawn. Its currently using 12gb of ram. I thought the memory leak was fixed? Sometimes it takes seconds for a change in a slider to have an impact. Heres an example.  I just went to export 6 photos, realised I'd not synced the sharpness settings, cancelled the export and clicked sync.  It took 13 seconds before the synchonise settings dialogue opened.  Whilst it was trying to open part of the interface went black, the dialog box drew slowly. Background first, then rectangle placeholders for the checkbox text, then it appeared.  It was like using corel draw on a 386 laptop. Seriously I've not experienced this type of slow since processors were a 1000 times? 10000 times? slower.  I have seen these speed issues now across 4 builds, the only thing in common is the monitor.

Premiere is running sweetly - probably better than I've ever seen it.  Its stable, responsive, it renders.  Photoshop is slow to start but the performance is fine.

Adobe camera raw also suffers when there are lots of files loaded - you can get through maybe 10 before it slows to a crawl. 

In Australia there are consumer laws that state that a product or service must be fit for purpose. No matter where I go in adobe with the speed issue the general response it:

1) its not slow or

2) its not reproducible

3) therefore its a problem unique to your system

We desperately need a metric to judge speed so that we can eliminate  the subjective, and we need someone to acknowledge this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

The problem is you have a CPU with more than 4 physical cores. LR does not run well on CPUs that have more than 4 physical cores.

See this thread.

Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to deactivate the GPU acceleration: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Post back if it helps.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its off (i did say this in my post but I appreciate its a bit TL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for testing purpose, please try to limit LR to use only 8 of your 12 CPU cores.

How to Limit Apps to Specific CPU Cores with Processor Affinity

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen references to LR having problems in some cases with more than four cores enabled.

My 8-core box seems to work fine, but if eight is not working for the OP, try four.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also working on 4 cores with HT (-> 8) without any issues but have also seen reports about issues with a higher number of cores.

That's why I want the OP to test for this. There are ways to start LR with a limited count of cores without having to set this manually every time.

.... still waiting though ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getho  schrieb

Its off (i did say this in my post but I appreciate its a bit TL)

Sorry, missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres another example. Skip to the next pic in the develop module click the white balance picker.  wait 5 seconds before the pick actually appears (the preview slowly draws on screen the cursor is still a cross-hair and then eventually it appear. Wait another 3 seconds after clicking it before the adjustment is made to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size of your operating system drive and how much available space? I have seen this happen when  OS drive is limited in available space. It has to do with the percentage of available space not just how much space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its a clean install on a 500gb ssd. (all partitions removed before install). Therea bags o'space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is you have a CPU with more than 4 physical cores. LR does not run well on CPUs that have more than 4 physical cores.

See this thread.

Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

.. that is why I suggested to try with a lower count ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines