• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Server behaviours, DMXzone wishlist

Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, this is an Adobe forum but... Adobe has removed server behaviours and killed InterAKT (Developer Toolbox) so I think that it's still a topic that could interests many DW's users.

WordPress is a great tool but I think that develop a website without a "ready to use" CMS is still the best way, the best web workflow (especially for corporate websites).

1. At the moment, DMXzone is the only company that offers a replacement of the old server behaviours but their extensions have many limitations.
    For example, isn't possible (or is very hard to understand how to do it) to set a simple "Show if the recordset is empty" and is necessary every time to open a ticket in the forum (great support but I'd like to do it alone and quickly).
  2. The DMXzone forum is another big problem. It's impossible to save images (screenshots) and to see the whole activity in the forums, is necessary open each forum individually (... and many times it's hard to remember in which forum you have posted the requests). Please DMXzone, see for an example WebAssist; they offer a great forum system with the possibility to see quickly the whole activity of the last 24h, 3/7 days, etc.
  3. Last thing, DMXzone offers too much extensions to do the same process (many times it's difficult to remember which extension must be installed by your marketplace). Please, create a single suite, as "ADDT" (Developer Toolbox) or DataAssist and remove the automatic update when you open a page (at least put a popup warning before updating).

What do you think?

Other DW users share my thoughts?
I would have liked to put this message on the DMXzone forum, but isn't available a section "general".

2017-03-09_12-11-34.png2017-03-09_12-06-34.png

2017-03-09_12-10-15.png2017-03-09_12-08-20.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

While I basically agree with your narrative, just a few points

1. WebAssist do have their MySQLi extension which is very similar to the deprecated SB panel.

2. DMXZone extensions are a bit hard to get one's head around, but there is a new development using  App Connect. This is a new concept where the data sources are manipulated by the client application (browser). In turn this makes the framework a lot simpler to understand, but more importantly, makes it a lot faster. The queries are created se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I basically agree with your narrative, just a few points

1. WebAssist do have their MySQLi extension which is very similar to the deprecated SB panel.

2. DMXZone extensions are a bit hard to get one's head around, but there is a new development using  App Connect. This is a new concept where the data sources are manipulated by the client application (browser). In turn this makes the framework a lot simpler to understand, but more importantly, makes it a lot faster. The queries are created serverside, the manipulation of those queries is client side. This makes it easier to filter queries as well as only show the results if the query contains data.

3. I totally share your view of the DMXZone forum.

4. There are many extensions and it is hard to know which ones to install (purchase). They do offer complete Collections to make the choices easier as can be seen from the following image

To show if there is data

On the server side, using Server Connect, you can Insert, Edit or Delete data, easier than in the days of ADDT.

The main problem is to be able to grasp the concept.

Disclaimer: I have no connection/relation with DMXZone or Webassist, I am merely a user of their products.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

thank you for your opinions!

FYI, at the moment with the last App Connect, to show a dynamic section only if a recordset isn't empty,  is possible only changing manually the code.

These are the instructions received from the DMXzone tech support:

--------

Select your div, then dynamic attributes > show.

For the expression, select serverconnect.data.query and just add length to it so it becomes:

serverconnect1.data.query1.length

--------

The problem is that when I need to update the code, I need every time to remember the modification customised.

I'm using DW to simplify the work and I need to have a panel (as the old server behaviour)  that showing me all the behaviours in the page otherwise all becomes complicated (much better to work manually on the code, without extensions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have had to do some hand coding as well. But this is because the likes of the Data Formatter has not been released. Actually, I don't mind a bit of hand coding when I can do it faster than having to go through the steps.

Edit:

As you can see from the screenshot, I have tackled the empty data slightly differently, comparing the the ID from the detail region with that of the ID in the 2nd table that I want to show the relevant records for. No ID from the detail area, no show of results. If there is an ID in the detail area, then filter the results to that ID

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've a question for you Ben...

Do you have a solution about the problem with local/remote db server?

https://www.dmxzone.com/support/23295/topic/61190/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set my site up with two testing servers, one local and one to my remote server. When I enter the details for the remote, I switch to the remote testing server and enter the details in the Connection Options. When that is done, I revert to the local testing server and change the details to the local server. This needs to be done once per site.

test2.png

junk.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thanks!

I hope to see very soon from DMXzone a solution "definitive" also for this.

OT: Why Adobe not give money to DMXzone to build new server behaviours integrated on the new version of Dreamweaver (late 2018)?

We might have a better product and the new behaviours could be used also from the others extension developers (as a standard).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ben,

do you have problems with IE 11 bowser to visualise the data generate from DMXzone App Connect?

Customers Dashboard Showcase

On Edge is ok, on IE 11 (and also for Windows Phone App) not loaded nothing:

screenshot-windows-phone-json-issue.png

UPDATE: DMXzone confimed the issue and will release a fix in the next days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I had not thought of testing with IE, but none of my sites work in IE (3% usage). Will ask DMXZone about this.

Edit:

I hope you do not mind if I use your example because mine are all in a password protected area.

Edit Edit:

Thanks, I see that you have already told them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue (IE browser compatibility) fixed in the last 1.0.6 version (launched today).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

please could you tell me if you have error messages in the browser's panel inspection about missing dmxzone .map files?

Just to figure out if I lost something while uploading files to the server.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't. Could you show me a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened this request for assistance on DMXzone (see the screenshot):

https://www.dmxzone.com/support/32947/topic/63032/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've received an answer from Teodor.

No .map files in the DMXzone's extensions (considered unnecessary).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only advice would be to become more familar with the coding an extension produces if you are going to use one.

Very often, once you have seen the pattern of coding, its easier to just do some of the more simple operations like creating a 'Show if' region directly within the code rather than use an UI.

The extension will create a php variable with the number of records found allocate to it, then its a matter of testing the variable to see if its empty 0 or it contains something:

<?php if($count == 0) { ?>

<h1>Sorry no records could be found</h1>

<?php } else { ?>

<h1>Records found</h1>

<?php } ?>

You could even set up a template (snippet) which will surround the code you want to show, if DW does that. I know other programs do. Then it becomes even simpler - select code, choose template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of dmxzone what is this: http://wappler.io/​ ? It's logo says "by dmxZone" ? I couldn't find anything related to this on their website. Is it legit or this some other company?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler - The Visual Web App Creator

This makes me believe that DMXzone are in the process of giving us an alternative to Dreamweaver.

Yes, the code has been written in typical DMXzone style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

Wappler - The Visual Web App Creator

This makes me believe that DMXzone are in the process of giving us an alternative to Dreamweaver.

Yes, the code has been written in typical DMXzone style.

All i can say is that it would be an interesting development if Theo is going to give us a Dw alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second thoughts, it may be an extension for Dreamweaver. To me it seems an huge task to create an alternative to Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's only the extension "DMXzone Webpack Builder" listed in the roadmap 2017 (see "DMXzone Building and Packaging Tools" section):

https://www.dmxzone.com/go/32730/extensions-roadmap-2017/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• DMXzone Bootstrap 4 Visual Designer for App Connect

You are right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

• DMXzone Bootstrap 4 Visual Designer for App Connect

You are right!

Well he did allude to something forthcoming shortly in a previous forum thread about Bootstrap shortly after V4 was launched.....since a great deal of their extensions are Bootstrap based and DW is way behind the curve as are most of the other apps out there are, like Bootstrap Studio and Bootstrap Builder........was not difficult to put 2 and 2 together which makes 5, doesn't it?

Thing is there are a lot of app developers out there, most die on their ass and lack any real teeth after a couple of years of development and the app eventually falls in a state of hibernation and become useless to those that have bought into it. To be a serious app developer you have to be committed and in it for the long run, DMXzone are one of those few app and extension developers that are commited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted them in their support chat but the only thing they confirmed was that this is not going to be an extension. The support guy told me, that he cannot share anything else at this point. Hm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamies34641468  wrote

I contacted them in their support chat but the only thing they confirmed was that this is not going to be an extension. The support guy told me, that he cannot share anything else at this point. Hm...

Well those that are interested had better hope it does not follow Bootstrap 4s timeline of testing and bringing to market, that took about 2 years or was it 3, I lost count.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

On second thoughts, it may be an extension for Dreamweaver. To me it seems an huge task to create an alternative to Dreamweaver.

Not really.

If they base it on the Brackets editor, (which is open source anyway) and add their server behaviours plus a few other extensions, (e.g. Bootstrap and sass) complete with say the Brackets ftp extension, then all that would be required is a decent file management system and they would have a viable alternative to Dw.

Even starting from scratch and just using Brackets or similar as a starting point, it is not as large a task as one would think. If you look at the size of the actual Dw engineering team, (forget everyone else) then it is not that much bigger than DMX's team, and lets be honest if they teamed-up with people like Al and his team from Project Seven to make it compatible with their extensions also, I honestly think they would be on a winner.

The problem with Dw, (and most other paid for web tools) is that it only offers the file management tools over programs that are available for free, especially for those developing server side and wanting some form of visual interface.

That all said, until I see or hear something from Theo, I'm not taking is too serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines