I’ve had several performance issues with Lightroom (3.5 and up, currently CC), and spent numerous hours with Adobe support to figure out what’s going on. Adobe’s solution has almost always been to start a new catalog, something that won’t work for me. I have multiple FTP setups and smart folders tailored to my different clients, setups it has taken me years to tweak and adapt into a smooth workflow. Building a new catalog means reconfiguring plugins, FTP setups and smart folders all over again.
I do think I finally managed to solve two of my biggest performance issues with Lightroom. One of my problems have been that Lightroom gets sluggish and impairs the OS as well, often while doing heavy batch metadata editing. I think I found the answer here Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community . I created a .bat-file where I forced Lightroom to only run on 4 of my 8 CPU cores (it defaults to run on all cores). See how here at Orjan F. Ellingvag
My second big problem was that the video thumbnails would not generate on all files. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe sometimes leaves some orphaned MDSKVIDEOINDEX and MDSKAUDIOINDEX files that halts the process. My work-a-round was to end the dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe (after its CPU activity has dropped to zero) and deleting the orphaned files. I had to do it several times for my video catalog (appr. 4.500 files), but they're all indexed and visible now.
I also moved all the video cache to a separate SSD usink the mklink command. See how here at Orjan F. Ellingvag
Also a heads-up on performance: Using the "EXIF and IPTC" metadata editor severely impairs the performance when batch editing. Try using "Minimal" or a custom made instead. Jeffrey Friedl has a great one for cheap at Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” Lightroom Plugin
Thanks for the great info.That'll definitely help us diagnose performance issues.