• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my "Revert" option grayed out?

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something strange is going on. I have been keeping up with all updates. Now using the latest 2017.

When I open any previously created file in ID, it shows the file has been "converted". The problem is, when I start working on it and want to revert back to where I opened it, the "revert" option is grayed out. I have to close the file, click no to saving changes and reopen it. What happened to being able to revert?

My guess, and this may need to be addressed is, because upon opening it is being converted (from what to what I don't now), ID sees this as a new document, hence any changes I make thereafter are seen as not changes, but staring on a new document...hence no revert. Thoughts?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

This is not an issue, it is simply the way InDesign has always worked.

Because new files cannot be opened in older versions you must consciously save the file in the new version of InDesign. There's nothing to revert to if you haven't saved the file, yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The revert tool allows you to return to the last saved copy. You would need to save your file first, apply some updates to your file then the revert should be back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got through to phone support after being transferred three time (and so hard to understand the accent...terrible communication skills as well).

He said it is a know ID issue. It appears that any files that I created in previous version of ID need to be saved (SAVED AS), rewritten over the old one first, then the features work correctly. What a WASTE OF TIME ADOBE!!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when you make a save as..., you do not need to overwrite the old file. You can save your document under a new name to keep your old file untouched (as backup), have a copy of it saved as the latest version of InDesign so you can use the revert.

The files need that latest code to use that revert command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying, but I find it ridiculous that I would have to go one step further and save the file again, renaming it, and keeping it in storage. That means having multiple copies (with different names) of files as the ID versions update. Something seems very backwards and not well thought out here.

Let me ask you, if I am updating ID as Adobe makes changes, am I to assume that the previous version is really not compatible with the newer one? Do I have a worry now that I have to save all my previous work (in the older versions) because one update of ID is not compatible with the next? 10 years ago this was a concern. I can understand a newer version of a document not opening correctly in an older version, but you'd think the newer versions would support the previous workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an issue, it is simply the way InDesign has always worked.

Because new files cannot be opened in older versions you must consciously save the file in the new version of InDesign. There's nothing to revert to if you haven't saved the file, yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you say is the way it is. This will only be an issue each time I open the previous version file the first time (after each version update). Maybe this was how it always was, I just have been using ID much more lately and finding my workflow is slowing down so many times a day opening dozens of files.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right. The file should only show as converted until it’s saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines