• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut / hotkey for scaling size of layer

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the shortcut for free transform is command + T, Im just wondering if there is a short cut to scaling the size of the selected layer to resize quickly without using the mouse (while in transform mode or not). I suppose its similar to scaling a font size when select and highlight your text, you can simple tap the up or down arrow key to scale quickly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

A wee tip about shortcuts, but only relevant if you are using CC.  Basically, there are no spare shortcuts, but the fix is that you can save custom shortcuts with custom workspaces.  So if you set Shift F4 to increase by 10%, and Alt Shift F4 to increase by 1%, and did the same with F5 to downsize, then save those with your favourite workspace like so:

You then return to Photoshop's default shortcuts by selecting, and then resetting, the Essentials workspace which is hard wired.

You might like to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I am aware of, but you could make an action that increased by whatever size increment suited you, and run it with a shortcut.  You would need the action to start the Free Transform process for each incremental size increase, as you would not be able to create and action while Free Transform was already active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once your action is created turn it into a Droplet for faster action. There's a good video at Create Droplet in Photoshop - YouTube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much appreciate the response but Im trying to eliminate steps and be more efficient. Creating an action would add an extra step and really I would be confined to whatever size I scaled the layer, at the time of recording the action and creating various actions or steps for various sizes isn't ideal for me.

@hobartbrennan , thank you for the video link but this isn't the kind of solution I was looking for.

Ideally, I would love to select my layer and increase or decrease its size without the use of the mouse, I'm just looking for shortcut keys to scale a selected layer (in free transform mode or not).

Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if you understood what was suggested.  Even if you need near infinite steps you could set Shift F4 to increase the object by 10%, and Shift Alt F4 to increase by 1%.  It would happen near instantaneously for each step.  I suspect you'd need to make  downsize actions as well.

yonore  wrote

Creating an action would add an extra step and really I would be confined to whatever size I scaled the layer, at the time of recording the action and creating various actions or steps for various sizes isn't ideal for me.

Well, no you wouldn't, if you use Percentage changes which is the default anyway.

Actually, setting the rulers to Percent tends to work well in a lot of instances when recording Actions.

At the risk of boring this forum's regular posters, I use Gaming keyboards with G-Keys, so I would only need to hit a single key to trigger those actions.  The G-Keys are context sensitive (app specific) so I have the keys set to paste often used internet links in Firefox.

I am also not sure where you get the idea of it needing additional steps.  How did you come to that conclusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Trevor,

my initial thought was that I had to create multiple actions for various sizes and then I also thought, while working, I wanted to simply (for example) press command + T, then tap a key to increase and tap another key to decrease, so when the idea creating multiple actions and then activating one of those action meant, I had to take my fingers off the key board and move the mouse over to select an action and figure out if the selected action was ideal for the size I wanted, I thought that seems so much more cumbersome then simply drag the corners in free transform mode.

Although, the samples you added in your reply has cleared up some my doubt and I have a better understanding of what is possible. I feel that your first response does actually fit as a solution, I just may have over thought it, since I was stuck on wanting a specific solution.

Thank you, I'm going to try to figure out how to create the actions you recommended. It may turn out to be the best answer for my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wee tip about shortcuts, but only relevant if you are using CC.  Basically, there are no spare shortcuts, but the fix is that you can save custom shortcuts with custom workspaces.  So if you set Shift F4 to increase by 10%, and Alt Shift F4 to increase by 1%, and did the same with F5 to downsize, then save those with your favourite workspace like so:

You then return to Photoshop's default shortcuts by selecting, and then resetting, the Essentials workspace which is hard wired.

You might like to create a new Action set before making your resize actions to keep things tidy, and perhaps give the four actions the same colour.  The whole process is going to take you less than five minutes.

I just tested it and it works fine, and instantaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it looks like I gave you bad information.  I assigned Shift F6 to the test Action I made, thinking that I only need reset my workspace to put it back to my settings.  I just tried to feather a mask using Shift F6, and couldn't work out why my selected pixels suddenly got bigger.  No worries, I thought, but after resetting my custom workspace, Shift F6 was still making stuff bigger.  So I went to the Essentials workspace and reset it, as that is my cure all back to default procedure, and still no change.

I know that saving custom shortcuts with custom workspaces works outside of Actions, because I use it a lot, but it appears that assigning a shortcut to an action overrides everything.

Deleting the action I made to test your requirement sorted out my problem, but you might need to think carefully about which shortcuts you can afford to overwrite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor.Dennis - thank you for this, I have been frustrated with a lack of keyboard transformation tools in Photoshop for a long time. In hindsight, an obvious solution. Works perfectly.

I have used your solution as an answer to my own question over on the Stack Exchange Graphic Design questio... I posted there a while back, with credit back to this post of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines