• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flattening text & spot colors

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My document has 2 spot colors which I must use.

I created a flattener preset (everything ticked and at maximum)

I used PDF x-1a 2001, which lets me use the preset.

After exporting, there are white lines on the pages.

My questions:

1. What is the best preset for print? (If no preset provided)

2. Best preset to get transparency effect when printed?

3. What do I do? All spots to process? Is that OK?

4. Do I outline my fonts or send them to the printer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

PDF/X-4

Neither. Just check that the font license allows embedding and the PDF/X-4 preset will embed the fonts along with the PDF.

You have to clarify whether the job is printing on 2 plates using solid ink spot colors, or if the output will be 4-color process CMYK. If it is the lat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The white lines are stitching artifacts and would not print on a high resolution device, but you can use the PDF/X-4 preset and keep the transparency live. Your fonts will get embedded in the PDF (unless the font license doesn't allow embedding), so you should not outline fonts.

Also there's no color management for spot color tints in InDesign, so the screen preview may be less accurate than with color managed process colors. When using spot tints you'll want to avoid designs that depend on fussy color matching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the job printing as process color? If that's the case you shouldn't be using spot colors. If you want to use the Pantone library with a process color job use the +Color Bridge CMYK libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you flattening this? X/1-a is an archaic file format and there's really very little reason to be using today.

Have you asked the printer these questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for input, but you have not answer my questions. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer mine, either.

Once I have an idea of WHY you're doing this, I'll have a better idea of what you need to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i needed a general response from you, like the others. What's archaic..I'm a beginner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF X/1-a standard is from 16 years ago and based on some very old workflows.

There are still some Luddite printers floating around that require it, but modern workflows would use the X/4 standard which keeps transparency live (hence no flattener settings) and supports RGB images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing, looks like you also needed the dictionary. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is asked implying that you do not know the printer and their capabilities. In which case, there is nothing wrong with using PDFx1a to export PDF.

Transparency will be flattened when exporting to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) or less. Presets and PDF compatibility are independent of each other. The preset "Press Quality" by default uses Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) compatibility, and would preserve transparency. But, this preset can export to PDF 1.3 which would flatten transparency.

If the project will print on a device that uses spot inks, then you need to preserve the spot color in export. An alternative method when dealing with spot colors is to remap a specific spot ink to one process color. Example: PMS 185 would remap to 100% magenta. This alternative method needs to be discussed with printer before preparing final PDF.

No, if you are exporting a PDF, this will embed the font** without the need to provide font or outline. **Fonts can have embedding restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey_Smith  wrote

No, if you are exporting a PDF, this will embed the font** without the need to provide font or outline. **Fonts can have embedding restrictions.

In which case, outlining would probably violate the font license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/X-4

Neither. Just check that the font license allows embedding and the PDF/X-4 preset will embed the fonts along with the PDF.

You have to clarify whether the job is printing on 2 plates using solid ink spot colors, or if the output will be 4-color process CMYK. If it is the latter you should not be choosing spot color swatches. For process color jobs spec'ing spot colors unnecessarily complicates color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines