• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with layers when colouring line art - help?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Right I'm going to try and be as clear as possible in my explanations, bearing in mind I'm fairly new to photoshop.

I'm colouring in line art that I made in Illustrator, in Photoshop. I copied one drawing into Photoshop as a smart object and then using a group and a layer mask, applied colour. That worked fine.

Then I copied in another drawing into the same document as a smart object (creating some sort of montage), selected the drawing, made a group and layer mask all fine, then when I started applying colour in a new layer - NOTHING HAPPENED. This is so frustrating, my brush is touching down and everything, no error message but there is no colour, no effect whatsoever. I'm basically painting with invisible ink and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I've checked, and there were no other selections active aside from the layer I wanted to lay colour on so I don't think that's the issue.

Is it not possible to colour in several different objects using this technique in the same document? Do I need to have all the objects imported as a smart object at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

All the best

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Hi

Yes you can apply colour more than once - but there are a number of things that could be stopping you. It it is difficult to tell from your description so can you post a couple of screenshots of :

1. The layers panel with the layer you are trying to paint onto highlighted

2. The layers panel as above but this time with the group highlighted

3. The brush options (the bar at the top of the screen) when you are trying to paint

Hopefully we will be able to see from that what is happening.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes you can apply colour more than once - but there are a number of things that could be stopping you. It it is difficult to tell from your description so can you post a couple of screenshots of :

1. The layers panel with the layer you are trying to paint onto highlighted

2. The layers panel as above but this time with the group highlighted

3. The brush options (the bar at the top of the screen) when you are trying to paint

Hopefully we will be able to see from that what is happening.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post a screenshot so that we can help you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines