• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pro InDesign Question about automatically fitting content and frame spacing (inData)

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I need some help and I hope there is someone here that can figure this one out.

What I need to do:

I need to make a few magazine spreads with classifieds. I have the excel file with 4 columns as follows: A: category, B: ad text, C: contact info, D: premium (yes/no)

How I do it is I use inData to style the text so that the style is done automatically for each text line as they are each in different styles.

The premium ads have a different coloured background then non premium ads. So for automation purposes they have to be in a different text frame in order to give them a paragraph style with a coloured background

A little bit of context:

I am using inData to populate multiple text frames linked together. At the end of each text block that is being imported I have a column break (numpad enter).

My problem is that the amount of text (lines) varies between text blocks so I am using the Text Frame Options (Command B) to make the text frame fit to content automatically. Auto-Size and Height Only as the width needs to stay the same.

My problem is that I do not know how to "link" the text frames to each other to keep the same spacing between frames.

Can anyone figure out a solution for this?

Alternative:

Or, is there a way to only start with one text frame and then have indesign automatically create new text frames to a predefined space between them?

If anyone can figure an alternative solution to my problem would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, someone with InData experience will see this thread and be able to help. In the meantime, I see the Em Software has free basic technical support for their products, along the lines of:

• strategizing about the best way to solve a given problem with our tools

support » Em Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from Em Software as a source for help, I would need to see screen shots of what you would like to accomplish as I cannot picture it. I would suggest using some dummy data and manually positioning and formatting it so a screen shot would be representitive of the desired layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your suggestions.

But in the weekend I managed to figure out a workaround.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines