• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Draggable handles move all body parts simultaneously

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created sticks and draggable handles in my character's arms and legs.  They are warp-independent body parts.  However, when I drag an arm handle, for instance, all body parts move.  It is the same for any handle on any body part.  No matter which one I choose to drag, all body parts with draggable handles react together.  Why?  I'm stumped.

Also, the character's feet are fixed, but there is a slight drift when moving.  Shouldn't they be perfectly still?

.PSD and .chproj files available on request.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me this sounds like you have something forcing the mesh to be a rectangle, like a background image. Do you have a white background or anything like that at the bottom? If so delete it.

Otherwise, yes please - share your File > Export > Puppet file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry ... forgot you are on a Mac

PoliticianMerged.puppet - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks!

• You don't have to add any extra dragger behaviors to your puppet. If you remove all the ones from the limbs, you'll be left with the default one that gets added on import (click the very top "PoliticianMerged" with the lego block & 8 next to it to see this). Because you had added behaviors to each one, they were all looking for the same drag interaction.
  • I like putting fixed handles on the body group instead of the +Character group. But for wider parts like feet, you may want to instead do a stick across it, select the stick with the arrow tool, and then tag the stick as fixed instead. That way it isn't fixating on just one point, but rather a point + a rigid line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So take the + designation off the character's name when building in Photoshop or Illustrator?  In that way the default dragger behavior won't appear when importing in ChAn?  In that way, I can assign behaviors to individual armatures? And I'm not quite catching the fixed handles on the body group recommendation.  Is this in one of your tutorials?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait ... I see what you mean about the fixed handles.  I had placed them in order to keep the feet planted in the scene.  Then, I added sticks and draggable handles in order to play with a walk cycle via one of your tutorials.  I forgot to delete the fixed handles before applying the armatures to the legs.  Is this why the feet were drifting a little bit when I moved the head, instead of being firmly planted in place?  Btw, I used the fixed handle for the feet technique and the behavior mods for drag handles by following your "Making Your First Character" tutorial.  What did I miss?  (Thank you for your quick replies today!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait ... (LOL) ... what I meant to explain is that, in your "Make first character" tutorial, you told us to highlight the entire character before applying the fixed handles for the feet, not the body.  Was there a tut that updated this procedure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh ... I reviewed the tutorial and found all of your suggestions and techniques as you state here.  Sorry for my ignorance and lack of attention.  The only problem I'm having now is that, if I delete all sticks and handles from the legs, then highlight the body to place fixed handles on the feet of the legs, the feet don't stay firmly planted.  They still drift a little bit when I move the head.  (Also, is it a bad idea to have fixed handles on the feet AND sticks and drag handles as well on the legs?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - you either want your limbs fixed or draggable - doing both is going to cause warping issues most likely.

Fixed handles on either +Character or Body should work - they may have slightly different effects depending on your character structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines