• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronization of folders/sub-folders issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a main folder for all my photos within Lightroom sorted by year, then sub-folders under each by subject.  If I right-click the top folder and click "Synchronize folder", the pop-up dialogue box has all boxes checked, and it starts counting. The result is it says for Import New Photos as (2).  Then I click the Synchronize button and the program starts working - lots of flashing screens as it goes through each folder/sub-folder in the tree...but when it finally ends, no photos were showing to add to catalog.  Tried this a few times, same thing happened.

Then I shut down Lightroom, created a sub-folder under the main one in Windows, added 3 photos manually, opened Lightroom and tried again.  This time it came back saying Import New Photos as (5).  I hit Synchronize again and after it works thorough all the folders, it shows thumbnails of only the 3 photos I recently added.

So for some reason Lightroom is identifying 2 mystery photos and I can't tell where it sees their location.

Anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

SOLVED!  Took awhile but I figured it out.  Way back when I tried out Google's Picassa. Turns out when you edit a photo in Picassa, it creates a hidden folder called ".picassaoriginals". Inside that folder is a copy of the original shot before edits.  Seems Lightroom when searching to synchronize photos can see these hidden folders and the photos within them. However, I guess because they are hidden, does not actually allow you to "add" the photo (doesn't even show a thumbnail). So bottom line i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Synchronize dialog, turn on the use of the Import dialog and see if the Import dialog will show you the mystery files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion but the Import Dialog was turned on. Still doesn't show the mystery photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!  Took awhile but I figured it out.  Way back when I tried out Google's Picassa. Turns out when you edit a photo in Picassa, it creates a hidden folder called ".picassaoriginals". Inside that folder is a copy of the original shot before edits.  Seems Lightroom when searching to synchronize photos can see these hidden folders and the photos within them. However, I guess because they are hidden, does not actually allow you to "add" the photo (doesn't even show a thumbnail). So bottom line is the Synchronize report will report these hidden photo numbers, but the program won;t show you them or let you add them.  In Explorer, I had to turn on the "show hidden files" option to see them. Once I deleted them, I re-ran Lightroom Synchronize and my mystery photos were no longer showing up!

So its kind of weird Lightroom will see and count hidden photos but not be able to show/tell you anything about them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the follow-up!

Glad you got it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines